cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI stops working showing incorrect password

stamfordgeorge

WIFI stops working showing incorrect password

The wi-fi on my 1 year old plusnet router fails every few weeks saying can't connect to plusnet xxxx incorrect password.

I know the password is correct and all devices fail. To restore service I have to login to the router management page and turn the wifi off then back on again, this fixes the issue for a few weeks then it all starts to fail again. Never had this problem on my Sky router, is there a fix for this?

7 REPLIES 7
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: WIFI stops working showing incorrect password

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I would try a factory reset (if you haven't done so already).

If that doesn't fix the problem the only thing I can think of is it may be faulty.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

When you say 'starts to fail again' what do you mean? Do they all go off together? Can you reconnect by going into the device WiFi settings and reconnecting there rather that switching WiFi off and back on in the router?

It might be that the lease is expiring and your devices not reconnecting again for some reason. You could try going into the router. Depending on which one you have look for something like advanced settings then look under My Network\IPv4 Configuration. Here you should find the lease time. See if that bears any relationship with the times between you have this problem. If so try changing the lease time and see what happens.

My only other suggestion is that you try a different the router.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

stamfordgeorge

All WiFi devices stop at the same time. Interesting thought about the dhcp lease times. Will check next time it fails.

i did a factory reset recently when the router froze completely and lost all connectivity to the internet, power off and on wouldn’t restore service.

swardcward

Exactly the same for me, I am a new customer and got connected 3 days ago, keeps saying incorrect password, I finally get it working in the evening then wake up and the red light is on. Also everytime a new device connects to it, it turn red and stops working and then I have to do the whole admin rubbish. Also its very slow, I was guaranteed minimum 27 mb and I get between 1 - 7 mb. How long before the reading is accurate as already bored of it and thinking of getting rid.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I’m not sure if it the lease time but assuming you have a PC, when it does go down try running the following commands from the command shell:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If that works, then it would indicate that may be the case.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@swardcward

From your description your connection is being dropped. @stamfordgeorge seems to be dropping WiFi, a different problem.

I suggest you start your own topic.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'