cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI keeps disconnecting

NTO
Grafter

Re: WIFI keeps disconnecting

@Gandalf  Do you know what?  I really didn't want to have to get involved in the Plusnet forum at all!   I have got better things to do with my time, including getting on with my work (which requires a stable wi-fi signal) but I was told by a CS agent that I would get faster assistance this way, than via the phone.  

I don't understand how an active thread with multiple posts gets pushed to the back of the queue - that seems counter-intuitive to me, but you have more experience with this.  

As I said to Dvorak, you need to understand it from the customer's point of view that waiting for days / weeks for a fix, which could be done in a few minutes, is the way to make people cross, rather than pleased, so there is a reason why people start to (reluctantly) become a pain in your rear.  I look forward to the finish of all this.  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I understand the inconvenience and frustration this is causing especially with the delay and I apologise for that, and I'm sorry if you were advised that you'd need to post here to request this is raised to our products team.

However it is raised now and we'll update the firmware as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@hab46 wrote:

By way of update, I am now using an old BT Hub 5 - type A - followed the instructions on these forums, and connection is perfect so far and smooth.

It is clear the Plusnet router, while very similar to the BT Hub, is an inferior product - whether it is lower spec hardware, or/and 'lower' software, or both.

The hardware is identical. Whilst the software does have differences, the wi-fi drivers etc. are also aligned in later versions. 

Did things ever work for you?

If you don't mind re-instating the Hub One, then I'd be keen to try a software roll-back so we can determine whether or not your issues are definitely related to software versions > 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2
Let me know if you'd be willing to give this a try. Note that you will lose any settings/bespoke config when the software is rolled back, e.g. SSID/wi-fi password changes, port forwarding rules etc.

@neilwoods wrote:
Funny how everyone's WiFi drop only started after the firmware updates. Must be the WiFi fairies you refer to, playing havoc on plus net customers. Did you send a list of addresses for them to interfere with then.

@neilwoods, are you able to provide me with your Hub One serial number? I must be looking at the wrong account, because the device associated with what I assumed to be you is running firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 that has been in circulation since 2017! Huh

@NTO wrote:

@bobpullen

I notice that you were working yesterday and assisting other people.  

@NTO, on the contrary, I was posting in my spare time.

You seem to have abandoned me for some reason. 

Sorry, that's not been intentional. As @Gandalf has mentioned elsewhere, my time spent here is typically outside of my normal role, and I've only recently returned from three week's leave over the Christmas period. As I'm sure you can imagine, I've a lot to catch up on Wink

After the new router was sent and didn't solve the problem, I asked for a firmware roll-back, before Christmas.  

I am still waiting. 

I have rolled your firmware back to version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2. As previously advised, this will have wiped any config you have changed away from defaults. If your issues persist following the rollback, then it's suggestive that this isn't a firmware specific problem, and instead there's something else at play.

If it does fix your signal strength problems then we'll need to look into things further. The .263 firmware is sat waiting to be deployed to the masses and I'm loathe to go down this path if there's some as yet unidentified issue with it.

Is this roll-back being deliberately avoided because you know that if it works, you do have a problem with the firmware updates? 

Absolutely not! If there's a problem then I want to get to the bottom of it. We've nothing to gain from deploying firmware updates that are going to cause customers problems (in case it's not apparent, we have not widely deployed the version I've just downgraded you from).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

NTO
Grafter

@bobpullen  

Thank you very much Bob.  We all need a break, so of course I understand that and sympathise with having a back-log to catch up on.  

I am amazed that it all falls on your shoulders - surely someone else should be trained up to help you?  There certainly is a demand for extra staff, from what I can see from these forum threads.  

It has been horrible, getting different answers from different staff with no clear information, which made the wait even more painful.  

Anyway, let's hope this roll-back does the trick and of course I am happy to let you know how it goes.  If all is good and I forget to message you (because I am so busy happily enjoying my trouble-free wi-fi) then please do give me a nudge.  

Thanks again  Thumbs_Up  

NTO
Grafter

@bobpullen 

As posted on other thread, unfortunately probs persist.  Roll-back didn't sort it.  Sad  

I think I have experienced less numerous drop-outs over the last couple of days, but it is still playing up.  

I have also just tried to use my laptop upstairs again and the wi-fi signal is rubbish.  Can't work up there anymore.  

My son is also having problems with his new iphone on the 5GHz wi-fi and so having to use 4G instead.  It's costing him money.  

So, do whatever you think.  I'm stumped as to what has gone wrong since last autumn. 
I'm really fed up.  On top of that, I'm snowed under with work, so I can't be trouble-shooting today.  I just have to get my head down and do whatever I can, even if the wi-fi is unstable and weak.  

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear this. Although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat relieved the firmware is ruled out! Wink

I've pulled the logs from your device but I can't see anything obvious from a quick scan. Is the laptop an Apple device? If so, it's safe to say the signal is approaching unusable:

nto_map.JPG

mac_signal.JPG

Where we go from here, I'm not sure to be honest. I can't see many competing wi-fi networks in the vicinity (couple of BT hubs) but that doesn't mean there isn't something else in your environment causing EMI/RFI and interfering with the signal.

We still may well be looking at limitations of the equipment, although that doesn't necessarily explain why things used to work. Have any new electrical devices been introduced to your home? Is the heating on now, where it wasn't before? Anything like that you can think of that might have changed?

We can try a replacement device but this isn't really symptomatic of a hardware fault, and I think you've already had the unit replaced once before?

If all options are exhausted then your next step might be to source a more capable router (preferably with a 3x3/4x4 aerial arrangment - the Hub one is 2x2/3x3), or a wi-fi extending/powerline solution.

Another idea could be to repurpose your spare Hub One as a secondary access point, but that's still going to need a wired connection between the two units Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

NTO
Grafter

@bobpullen  I really appreciate you looking further into this and not abandoning us !    Thumbs_Up

I will investigate everything possible tonight and over the weekend to try to identify anything else that could be the culprit.  It is very mysterious.  

Again, I appreciate you being straight forward with me and doing your best to help.  Will catch up with you soon.  

NTO
Grafter

Hi @bobpullen 

As promised an update.  

We've thought very carefully about any changes made within our 4 walls that could have led to interference since last autumn.  

Because it was working okay through last winter (not perfect, but ok) it cannot be to do with the heating.  
The position of the router and items around it are exactly the same. 
We've looked at all other forms of possible emission (our son is an electrician, so he was able to comment on our puzzling).  
We haven't added any new electrical items since the summer.

... so we are now 100% sure that it's not anything we've done ourselves within the home. 

We've established that it's not the router, because you sent a new one. 

We've established that the line speeds are okay, because Open Reach said so.  

I will be amazed if something a neighbour has done is the cause of so much hassle.  You had a look at the neighbouring wi-fi networks and saw nothing too troubling.  We are in a detached house, so could it really be down to something as low-powered as a doorbell??   And wouldn't it only cause a problem when it was in use?  As I said, the wi-fi has had weak signal and drop-out problems when my neighbours have been away from home!  

How about communication masts? 
Any other ideas at all please? 

I think we might look have to look at reluctantly buying a more powerful router, BUT as you said, it may not fix the problem anyway, since the HubOne was working ok-ish before all this kicked off.  

I would be most grateful for any further suggestions or advice please    Sad  

NTO
Grafter

Hi  @bobpullen  Still needing help over here, if you've got a minute?  

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @NTO,

After discussing this matter with Bob, I'm afraid he has no further information to provide that hasn't already been discussed.

The source of interference could be from anything giving off a signal that is in range of the router and of similar frequencies. You may wish to proceed by lending a router temporarily from a family member or friend to prevent you from spending money on equipment that reacts in the same way.

It's not unheard of for the issue to be down to bad electrical connections in light switches, door bells or devices with a similar frequency such as cordless handsets, bluetooth devices and wireless peripherals.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
NTO
Grafter

Thanks for your reply  @Jubby 

We have gone through the interference possibilities several times with a fine-tooth comb as far as our own home is concerned.  That is why I am asking about external stuff now.  We are in a detached house and if one of our neighbours have bought something that is powerful enough to render our wi-fi unstable and weak, then there is a pretty serious question to be answered about this issue.  Will we all have to keep upping the strength of our routers by buying a new one?      

I am throwing the question out there to everyone (including the experts in your team) ... what could have possibly been installed by a public authority or a private neighbour that is emitting a powerful-enough signal to ruin our previously-working home wi-fi?  Please bear in mind that the drop-outs and weak signal problems can also occur when our immediate neighbours are not at home. 

Thumbs-up thanks will be given to all those who offer a sensible/useful reply, which does not repeat the obvious stuff already discussed!  

neilwoods
Dabbler

How can it be an external problem when so many people are reporting the exact same problem.

I no for a fact there is NO external interference near.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@neilwoods, I might be missing something, but assuming I'm looking at the correct account, you're still running a firmware from 2017. If so, not sure how you've come to the conclusion that your issue is related to something we've done? Huh

I've just pushed the latest build to your device regardless. Apologies it wasn't picked up earlier. Given the circumstances though, I'm not convinced it's going to help with whatever issue you may be experiencing.

Feel free to elaborate on your issue and I'm sure the Community will do their best to help.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

neilwoods
Dabbler

Apart from missing everything. I wouldn't know what build you guys have put on, you lot have messed around with so much. Was put back, which sorted it.

Now because you can't be bothered to read, you have probably screwed it up again. So cheers for that.

This is why, I gave up on this thread for weeks, you lot are incapable of reading. Its like the 3 stooges are in charge.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Wow. I have read your posts, but incorrectly assumed - based on your comments in reply 117 - that you were still experiencing problems. If I have indeed 'screwed it up again', then it would be helpful to know specifics because we're in the process of rolling out this latest version to the masses and I wouldn't want any other customers to be inconvenienced.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team