cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI keeps disconnecting

PREH

WIFI keeps disconnecting

We have recently changed to plusnet and we are getting good speeds but there is a problem......

Our wifi keeps disconnecting from our devices.

I have already tried all the standard fixes- renaming the two frequencies, picking the best channel after doing a wifi scan.

Nothing seems to work.

It has even been a nightmare trying to send 

123 REPLIES 123
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: WIFI keeps disconnecting

What happens when you lose the wi-fi connection? Are you able to reconnect, or do you have to reboot the router to bring things back? What devices do you have on your network?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PREH

I'm able to reconnect.

We have laptop and apple devices, iphones and ipads.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

When you say renaming the two frequencies do you mean you are separating them and trying each in turn? See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jimbaxter

I have had similar issues for the last few months, with Wifi devices dropping out or being very slow. Usually a reboot helps a little. I have deactivated 5G a few months ago to avoid any problems with it.

Using the Wifi Analyser app on Android it shows the Wifi signal drops to nothing briefly when the disconnections occur.

Where I live there is only one neighbours Wifi visible so it is not interference.

I also have devices using the wired Ethernet and they do not suffer any connection or speed issues.

cliveclose

Hi I have been having this problem four 5 months, had lots of engineers to see the problem  but it just goes on and on ,

And rang again today took 30 mins for some body to answer ,  I wonder iff the directors now about the terrible service I get.

Cheers Clive.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@jimbaxter, you were pushed a software update 30th September. Do your problems precede this? If they do, then your issue is unlikely the result of anything we've done from this side Huh

@cliveclose, your physical DSL connection is dropping which is different to what's being discussed here.

@PREH, assuming I'm looking at the correct account, I don't think we've a record of your router's serial number. This means I'm unable to check anything from this side. If you message me the MAC address and serial number of your device, then we can look at getting this sorted for you?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@cliveclose, from what I can see your complaint is with a case handler of our complaints team. It looks like he's on annual leave right now, but I've emailed our complaints guys to try to get this picked up as soon as we can by someone else.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jimbaxter

@bobpullen The disconnection has got worse in the last few weeks, previously I used to mainly get issues on just my Samsung phone but now we see issues on the laptops too. Do you know what changes were in the September 30th update?

I have remembered why I disabled the 5GHz signal now, since enabling it again on Monday I just get random authorisation errors when using 5GHz.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There are some wi-fi driver changes in the latest build and looking at your router logs, I can see quite a lot of wi-fi noise from a device with a MAC address ending b7:2f. Is that the Samsung phone?

I can't think of any reason why the 5Ghz wi-fi network wouldn't authenticate, unless there's an odd character in the SSID or password that the connecting device doesn't like.

I'm expecting an early software build of a newer firmware soon that I'm hoping to try with a few customers that have reported wi-fi stability issues with the latest build (particularly where there's a Kindle tablet on the network). I'd be happy to consider your device as well if you're up for it?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jimbaxter

I would like to test the new early software build and see if that improves things.

I cannot find a device with a MAC address ending in b7:2f on my network. Even in the DHCP table as an old entry, I wonder if that is someone else's device.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@jimbaxter, pre-release update now applied. Your router will have rebooted to apply the update so apologies if you were in the middle of anything. Let me know how you get on.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

cliveclose

Hi Jim,  thanks for that,  so far so good , fingers crossed still , ( after 5 month problems  )

Cheers Clive.

jimbaxter

Hi Bob,

Thank you, so far so good even with the 5GHz network re-enabled.

Best regards,

Jim

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks @jimbaxter, good to hear.

I don't suppose you can do me a favour and summarise what devices you have connected to your wi-fi network?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team