Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WD myicloud not working following upgrade to a hub two router

Golfingman
Dabbler

WD myicloud not working following upgrade to a hub two router

Hi 

I’ve had a Hub Two router for some months and have just noticed that my WD mycloud storage device is not accessible. After entering the router IP address in my laptop and selecting the WD device it’s showing Not Connected in the Connection Status.i would appreciate some help in how I can get the router to recognise the WD myicloud device.

Regards

Golfingman

14 REPLIES 14
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: WD myicloud not working following upgrade to a hub two router

@Golfingman 

What happens if you "ping" the MyCloud's IP address?

Could it be that the MyCloud has "gone to sleep" when you are trying to connect to it)

I have a WD Elements hard drive connected to our Netgear ReadyNAS home server. The firmware in the Elements drive puts it to sleep after about 20 minutes with no activity, and it can take 20 seconds or so to become visible again.

Golfingman
Dabbler

Hi Mr_Paul

Thank you very much for your reply. I have tried your suggestion but sadly it didn’t change the status. The Connection Status shows is not connected although physically it is. On the WD Mycloud website it states the firmware needs  to be on a certain level after June 23 in order for the device to be recognised by the router. I followed their instruction which was to power off for 10 seconds  then leave connected to the router and the device should automatically update. I’ve done this but still the same. Not being able to access the device from the laptop I don’t know how you would check if it’s on the correct firmware.

Once again thanks for your help

regards

Golfingman

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

@Golfingman the WD site does say it can take up to 24 hrs for the firmware to update

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

What was it connected to prior to the Hub Two?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Baldrick1
Fixes: 426

@Golfingman wrote:

. I followed their instruction which was to power off for 10 seconds  then leave connected to the router and the device should automatically update. I’ve done this but still the same. 

How does it update to enable it to connect the NAS to a PC when it’s not got a data connection to the router? From my reading it’s the router to NAS connection that is your primary problem, not the PC to the NAS.

Can you factory reset it?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Golfingman
Dabbler

Plus net hub 1

golfingman

Golfingman
Dabbler

I did switch and reconnect the unit over 24 hours ago.

golfingman

Golfingman
Dabbler

Hi 

Totally agree. I need to get the router to recognise the WD Mycloud device. Don’t know about a reset option I will look into it. I have a lot of data on the device and just wonder  if it can be reset will this result in losing the data.

regards

Golfingman

Golfingman
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick1

Have performed a soft reset as you suggest and will now have another go to update the firmware. As you’re aware it could take 24 hours so won’t know if this is successful until tomorrow.

Once again thanks for your advice.

Golfingman

Baldrick1

@Golfingman 

If the NAS is set to DHCP it should automatically connect to the router. If you log in to the hub you should see if it’s connected to the NAS. The software update for connecting your PC to the NAS should not be involved.

Moderator and Customer

Golfingman
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick1
Thanks again for your help. The NAS is set to DHCP and I have left the device to upgrade to latest firmware but sadly still not connected. I’m now at a total loss on how to sort and think I may have to give it up as a bad job and lose the pictures stored.
Once again thanks for your help.
Golfingman

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@Golfingman 

"think I may have to give it up as a bad job and lose the pictures stored."

Are these pictures of particular importance to you?

It should, (in theory), be possible to remove the drive from the casing and connect it to a PC to read the data off.

These types of devices, (I don't have specific experience of the MyCloud), generally contain a standard 3.5" hard drive with a SATA connector. You could then connect that to one of the internal SATA ports of a desktop PC, or buy a USB interface such as this one, which will enable connection to a laptop:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195925449457

If you do get one of these adapters, make sure that you get one that is also spec'd for 3.5" drives, as they require a 12 volt supply as well as the 5 volt supply from the USB, (2.5" drives are 5 volt only). You may also need a 12 volt power supply of sufficient current capability.

Depending on how the drive is formatted, you may also require some extra software to read it, eg:

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/linuxfs-windows/#

Baldrick1

@Golfingman 

What are the front and back panel lights showing? Extracted from the manual:

wd1.pngwd2.png

Moderator and Customer

Golfingman
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick1
Front light is solid blue. Rear light of which there are two close together top light is blinking green bottom light is sold green.
Regards
Golfingman