cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone Sure Signal not working.

Mattplus15

Vodafone Sure Signal not working.

Hi, I've just become a Plus Net Fibre customer a few weeks ago and the only problem I'm having is the Sure Signal. It was working fine until 4 days ago, I moved the Router from another room to near the TV and wanted to hard wire my Xbox for better connection, ever since I did this the Sure Signal fails to connect. It starts up and the power light is solid and the other two lights flash for 5-10 mins then the two flashing lights go out leaving the power light on its own. After a while this sequence will repeat. Its trying to connect but I'm guessing the router is stopping it but I have no idea how to correct it? Anyone else had/having this problem and resolved it?

I used to have Sky Fibre and never had a problem with the Sky Hub.

10 REPLIES 10
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: Vodafone Sure Signal not working.

I have PN fibre and SS works fine

Looking at the trouble shooting documentation " what do the lights mean", it gives no information for " power light is solid and the other two lights flash"

When you say "other two lights"  are you referring to the world and signal icon or the world and mobile icon , are the icons white or orange?

Have you tried putting your router back where it was and connecting the SS box , to see if it still works? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Its not clear if the SS has ever worked since you moved to PN, or just when you moved the router?

It could be that in the process of moving you got a different IP address that Vodafone does not recognise. Are you having any other difficulty reaching other sites?

Mattplus15

Hi, yes I've tried everything I can think of, it's the SS V2 so it's the World light and the phone light, both flash for 5-10 mins then go off, then after a while they'll start flashing again then go off. It's obviously searching for the Sure-signal servers but something is stopping it connecting.

Im having the exact same problem as this user on the eforum:

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/SureSignal-V2-works-on-my-son-s-Plusnet-Fibre-B...

It did work when I first connected it but since the move of the router I've had this problem.

Mattplus15

Hi, no problems accessing any other sites and yes did work with PN fibre until I moved it.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Assume you have moved the router back and the SS box failed to work?

I have V3 which has been fine.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mattplus15

Yes tried both, moving router back and the sure signal to the router. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It could be worth opening a Google search and searching for "What's my IP" keeping a note, to see if it changes when you move or reboot the router. Especially if you get one that works. You may have to leave the router switched off for a while to get a change though.

bin
Aspiring Pro

Just a thought - if your phone supports wifi dialling it looks as though Vodafone have an app for that.

If you are able to test that with your router in the original position and the new position that may give you some insight into what's going on.

If it is the normal kind of wifi dialling app you may need to be able to get some kind of signal when you install it otherwise it cannot register the phone.

May not be of any use.....

Oh, just a quick thought - when you move the router are you still connected to the master socket or is there some kind of extension?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

It could be that in the process of moving you got a different IP address that Vodafone does not recognise

I'm pretty sure that @Mustrum hit it on the head there. The physical moving of the router is a red herring, it's connected to the router by cable , not wifi, so unless it's a different cable then I don't see how moving would affect it. However, the moving would involve a disconnect of the PPPoE and thus potentially a new IP address. There's been some issues with incorrect location of some PN addresses by some out-of-date geolocation services and it's known that the SS doesn't like (what it thinks are) non-uk addresses. There's also been some routing issues with some address ranges and VPN's in the past which MAY be significant in this case. My GUESS is that you've now got one of those addresses and they now seem to be more 'sticky' so getting a different one is not so easy.

@Mattplus15 As suggested earlier, you can check your public ip, if you post it here ( blank off the last 2 octets to avoid publishing the actual ip ) then we'll be able to see if you've got one from the 'iffy' range. If it is the IP causing the problem, then an option for you might be to subscribe to a static IP (£5 one off charge) as these are from a completely different range and have never had any problems with geolocation or routing.

Mattplus15

Hi, thanks so much for all your replies but I left it plugged in over night with the two lights flashing and this morning it's back working again!!