cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow WiFi printing

Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Very slow WiFi printing

I've only had my PlusNet Fibre for a couple of weeks, and so far all has been well, with good Internet speeds, and good Wifi around the house.

I currently have a mixed network, with some devices on 2.4GHz, some on 5GHz, and some on Ethernet. Tests show that all Wifi signals are strong, at 78% for 5GHz and 98% for 2.4GHz, and 0% noise on both. My iMac connects at 585Mbps, so no problem there for headroom (although I have also tried using Ethernet on the iMac too, but that made no difference).

My problem is with my Brother DCP-J4120DW printer, which is proving impossible to use as a WiFi printer since I got the Hub One. It's showing a full signal, and connects easily. It takes minutes at a time to print a couple of lines of a photo, and is even very slow with a plain text page - something that wasn't a problem with the old Sky router I previously had - making it impractical to use at all.

I have tried rebooting the modem, the printer, and resetting the Wifi on the printer. Printing by USB is perfect, but that's not practical, or possible, on all devices.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Andy

Andy
12 REPLIES 12
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Very slow WiFi printing

Try adding a 5 to the 5ghz ssid on the router, then your printer will only connect to the strongest signal, most like the ssid without the 5.

Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, the printer is only capable of 2.4GHz anyway, and connects to channel 11.

I've just done another test from my iPhone, and that prints a photo OK. Is it perhaps a cross protocol issue here? (i.e. trying to print from a 5GHz/Ethernet device to a 2.4GHz device).

Andy
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Not had that problem with mine, HP printer on 2.4, Laptop on 5. 

Do you get the same if your Mac is Ethernet connected?

Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Yes, the same if using Ethernet. The iPhone seems to connect on 2.4 though, which is strange, as anther one connects on 5.

Looking around here, it does seem that the Hub One is a little fragile in places

Andy
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Older iPhones don't have 5Ghz, but if it's newer, it make have connected to 2.4 when further away from the router. 

Not sure about fragile, but like the BT HH5, there are a few tweaks that can help get the best out of them!

Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Yes, all aware of the iPhones, one is a new SE, which is connecting at 2.4, the older one is a 5C which is connecting at 5.

Have also now tried separating the two signals and connecting via 2.4 only, but that didn't work off the iMac either. Very weird.

I'll have a look out for the tweaks, perhaps they may help.

Cheers

Andy
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Did you also uncheck the "syncs with 2.4" on the 5Ghz tab?

Also have a look at a Wifi analyser app and see which channels may be getting interfered by other routers in the vicinity, switch off the auto select a pick the quietest ones. 

Try and site the router in a central location where possible, consider the use of a wireless access point/repeater, or home plugs maybe to get a lan port nearer devices that can use it. I use one to connect up to a small switch, and then to the TV, Roku and satellite box.

HTH

Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Yup, done all that, syncing or switching between 2.4 and 5GHz networks doesn't make any difference to the printing. All other services are working fine.

I already mentioned an analyser shows good signal and zero noise/interference. I have solid and reliable WiFi to all other devices, including two iPhones, two Windows 10 laptops, and my iMac - all showing full signal strength.

I do use Ethernet and Homeplugs for the devices that are in fixed locations, and benefit from using it - such as YouView and Now TV boxes, and an AppleTV. I can connect the iMac using a Homeplug too, but I get a much faster connection using the 5GHz WiFi. Besides, whether I use 2.4, 5, or Ethernet, the printing problem remains. The printer can only connect using WiFi or USB.

Cheers.

Andy
Mustrum
Community Veteran

All else I can suggest is a better router, I got myself an N600 Netgear one a couple of years ago, before I moved to PN, to get over Wifi drops from my BT HH5' same as the PN one. Although in theory worse wifi specs, it still works better. Looking at getting another with better Wifi soon!

Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the responses, sorry I haven't replied in a while, got busy with Christmas, and now a broken wrist so haven't been typing much lately.

I have ended up leaving it as is for now. After some more testing it seems it's only being affected at my main iMac computer, other devices are able to print fine using the network.

As I can simply connect my iMac directly using USB anyway, it seems best to just use that. Would be nice to have found a solution though.

Everything else is working spot on with default settings in the router.

Cheers.

Andy
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@Wildroverandy

Just a wild guess, but is the iMac looking for the printer on USB rather than on the network.

I set up a Dell clone of a similar Brother device and it had to be first attached by USB to set up the wireless then could be "set free" on Wireless.

Try removing the printer from the iMac and adding it again.

If you can print via WiFi from an iPhone or iPad there isn't much wrong with the printer set up.

I am the satisfied customer....
Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

@markhawkin wrote:

@Wildroverandy

Just a wild guess, but is the iMac looking for the printer on USB rather than on the network.

I set up a Dell clone of a similar Brother device and it had to be first attached by USB to set up the wireless then could be "set free" on Wireless.

No, I've tried all combinations of connection, and even removed redundant connections. It was happening with both a Brother M/F inkjet and a Kyocera laser.

Try removing the printer from the iMac and adding it again.

Yeah did that multiple times.

Be assured that I've also tried a myriad of possible fixes, changing and deleting various network prefs and trying different drivers (i.e. installed vs CUPS) and so on.

If you can print via WiFi from an iPhone or iPad there isn't much wrong with the printer set up.

You would think. However, there does seem to be a bit of a history with ISP firmware modified routers and Apple devices.

I have seen it where an individual device just won't work properly on a particular router, where others will, change the router and you can fix it, or get different issues even.

It's working as it is for now, so I'll live with it.

Cheers.

Andy