Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vdsl Modem

its-me
Dabbler

Vdsl Modem

Hi all,

New member joining from Sky, What are the more technically inclined people using as a vdsl modem?Huh

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Vdsl Modem

Hi its-me, welcome on board. For me I use DrayTek Vigor 130.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Billion 8800AXL modem/router........but I will be keeping an eye on this thread for an alternative.

Edit: for typo...and clarity.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I expect that you will get nearly as many alternatives as respondees. Any third party or BT device will work. I use a BT Business Smarthub.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

My Technicolor T589vac (if you can find one now) has been faultless and gives a higher sync than the PN one. It was only a SSE freebie, but is quite configurable and gives the required stats. So good in fact, I bought a spare just in case Grin

its-me
Dabbler

@Strat @Anonymous  Cheers for the suggestions, I was thinking of picking up one of the Openreach/Huawei VDSL modems, but will look at your choices. Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

@its-me wrote:

Huawei VDSL modems

A Huawei really, they might spy on you! Grin

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@its-me wrote:

Hi all,

New member joining from Sky, What are the more technically inclined people using as a vdsl modem?Huh

When you say modem do you mean it literally? Or do you mean combined modem/router?

As it's a term thats used interchangeably (wrongly, IMO) as evidenced by the recommendations in this very thread...

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@DaveyH 

What you say is very true, people get modems, routers and combined modem/routers intermixed. Not many people use separate modems and routers these days. I have an unlocked Huawei HG612 model 3b modem and router in case I need to monitor line statistics. However this is only of interest if I have problems. Otherwise I save the additional power consumption by using a combined modem/router Business Smarthub 6. This synchs 1Mbps faster than the older design HG612 modem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

its-me
Dabbler

@DaveyH Yup literilly @Baldrick1 I plan on using a ubiquity USG combined with there AP's

its-me
Dabbler

@Anonymous I hear you, but lets face it Cisco got caught doing the same a few years ago, It's just that wotsit face shouts louder 

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Except of course there's still little to no proof Huawei have done anything.

It was entirely political as evidenced by the racist wotsit's willingness to overlook any so called security issues in return for a deal...

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@its-me 

What did you do with your Sky setup ?

If you had a third party modem working with Sky (having done a bit of "wiresharking" ) then it is likely that the same equipment could be re-purposed.

Otherwise a secondhand Openreach modem would be an economic solution.

The "free" Plusnet routers are not generally held in high regard by more demanding users although for the average punter it "just works".

I am the satisfied customer....
its-me
Dabbler

I just had the Q router / hub 3, been itching to sort QOS / WiFi for quite a while and when the option came, I jumped at the chance of being able to use my own equipment without having the choices made for me, which router, which DNS you get he idea...

its-me
Dabbler

Vodafone did find evidence !!! they (Huawei) left telnet open Cool_smiley and of course the great orange one ran with spouting his 'evidence'. Linky  goes here