Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Various Plusnet routers?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Various Plusnet routers?

@robbieglover2k 

Yes, it's fine to include links as you have done in this post. Your suggested device is a straight router so will not work unless you also get yourself a separate modem. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

What do you mean? Would that not just be plugged in in place of my Hub One I have at the moment? @Baldrick1 

I don't have anything else other than that, this technology thing is too confusing haha

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

That is a lower spec router than the Hub 1 nd has no built in DSL modem, so you would need another box - why would you consider one of those?

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Well I didn't know that @Mustrum , I thought that was just a router looking at it and from searching Amazon "Router" and this comes up.

No one's told me that until now. 

Baldrick1

@robbieglover2k 

That's correct. The Hub One and BT Smarthub are combined modem/routers.

Moderator and Customer

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Ah ok, I have no idea what I'm searching for on Amazon then really @Baldrick1 , it's honestly quite misleading when you're not that clued up on them. I searched "Router" on Amazon and that came up titled "WAVLINK AC1200 Smart WiFi Router, Dual Band Gigabit Ethernet Wireless Router 867 Mbps/5 GHz + 300 Mbps/2.4, 1 USB Port, Supports Smart App Control UK Plug (531G3)" - so I just thought it was haha

Are these the right results here: Amazon Router Search Smiley

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Don't bother searching Amazon. they are just there to sell stuff.

Why not look for VDSL Router reviews and specifications, then you will have a better idea, and will see for yourself the Hub 1 and BT Hub 6 and Smarthub are combined modem routers and are better specified?

HTH 😉

Baldrick1

@robbieglover2k 

Try searching for VDSL router. What you need is a router with a built in VDSL modem.

Moderator and Customer

Farnzie
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies to my question. @robbieglover2k  I just bought a BT Hub6 off ebay Plusnet-BT-Smart-Hub-Home-Hub-6-Fibre-FTTC

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@robbieglover2k 

To go back to your original post. If you're happy with your current set up and performance then there is no need to buy a new modem/router. PlusNet will not offer support on anything not supplied by them so if you change then you are reliant on Fourms to provide information / help.

Having said that, I believe there are many users on here who have the BT HH6 and can offer advice. At present perhaps the only reason to do so might be better WiFi coverage.

As previosuly suggested look aroung the internet for articles on how modems/routers work and things like ADSL, VDSL (FTTC) and g.Fast. I've just posted on another forum about WiFi 6, a new WiFi standard.

Brian

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

It seems from the Kitz forum that BT routers are becoming loan items.  Suppose it could affect s/h supply.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
TheJayBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

@robbieglover2k wrote:

Just to add @bmc I've just googled those hubs you mentioned and you can tell, I had no idea haha Smiley 

The interesting thing is this from a 2017 article (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link articles here so I'll just paste a bit)

"BT Smart Hub is much better than Sky, Virgin, and TalkTalk hubs, according to internal testing.

When the new BT Smart Hub (aka Home Hub 6) was unveiled, BT it boldly claimed that the router had the UK's most powerful Wi-Fi signals, and thus the implicit assertion that BT broadband is the best choice for fast, reliable downloads throughout the house.

The new BT Smart Hub is also capable of creating a Wi-Fi connection with a laptop 500 metres away through a single wall, or a tablet at 350m, says BT."

If this is so then that's great when they upgrade Smiley 

If you can link articles here then I'll share it of course but I just don't want to break any forum rules Smiley 

Don’t believe everything you read from BT!  I had a Smarthub and it was anything but smart.  BT took a long time to get the firmware right.  The Wi-Fi performance isn’t anywhere near as good as BT claimed.  They did get their knuckles wrapped by the ASA.  I use the BT Whole Home Wi-Fi (I have 3) and, after several attempts by BT at getting the firmware right, it is excellent.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

@TheJayBee wrote:

@robbieglover2k wrote:

Just to add @bmc I've just googled those hubs you mentioned and you can tell, I had no idea haha Smiley 

The interesting thing is this from a 2017 article (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link articles here so I'll just paste a bit)

"BT Smart Hub is much better than Sky, Virgin, and TalkTalk hubs, according to internal testing.

When the new BT Smart Hub (aka Home Hub 6) was unveiled, BT it boldly claimed that the router had the UK's most powerful Wi-Fi signals, and thus the implicit assertion that BT broadband is the best choice for fast, reliable downloads throughout the house.

The new BT Smart Hub is also capable of creating a Wi-Fi connection with a laptop 500 metres away through a single wall, or a tablet at 350m, says BT."

If this is so then that's great when they upgrade Smiley 

If you can link articles here then I'll share it of course but I just don't want to break any forum rules Smiley 

Don’t believe everything you read from BT!  I had a Smarthub and it was anything but smart.  BT took a long time to get the firmware right.  The Wi-Fi performance isn’t anywhere near as good as BT claimed.  They did get their knuckles wrapped by the ASA.  I use the BT Whole Home Wi-Fi (I have 3) and, after several attempts by BT at getting the firmware right, it is excellent.

Oh I know @TheJayBee, that's the problem with ISP's lately though you can't find one that doesn't have frustrating problems. I hear a lot of people praising Sky who have been with them many years the most but they also have their fair share of problems too as I've seen that also.

I don't even blame the ISP's half the time to be honest as it's not really their fault but a lot of the times the infrastructure most of us are on with the old copper wiring which they are currently upgrading to the whole FTTP setup which should have been done a long time ago, we're playing catch up big time here.

Of course there's often setup problems too but it has been difficult for most people to settle with an ISP they want to stay with long term, people tend to move around because they have a lot of trouble only to find they have the same with the one's they move to, it's quite difficult really.

We have dropped to like 81st in the world or something lagging behind on broadband now because we've never upgraded our infrastructure while broadband and technology has advanced and now we're struggling and having problems.