cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Various Plusnet routers?

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Various Plusnet routers?

Hi there, this is just another post out of pure interest but I was wondering what is the latest and best Plusnet router which are provided by Plusnet themselves?

I've read a few reviews online and Plusnet are generally one of the best and most highly rated from the professional websites however one thing I have noticed in the cons is that some say the router isn't really the best where as others say it's pretty decent.

I actually really like the design of the one I have (Hub One which I believe is 2015) though I was just wondering is this the latest router and are there any plans for a newer updated router in the works?

I have thought at times about purchasing a better more advanced router but I'd rather not use anything that isn't provided by Plusnet, specially when it comes to needing support.

So I was just wondering about this out of pure interest really Smiley 

27 REPLIES 27
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Various Plusnet routers?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

Still the hub one.
Customer / Moderator
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @dvorak, any plans on updating this or a new one? Smiley

dvorak

I wouldn't know, just a customer like yourself Smiley
Customer / Moderator
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

ok thanks @dvorak Smiley

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@robbieglover2k 

There's.nothing to stop you getting a better device whilst keeping the Hub One as a spare. If you have a problem then you could put the Hub One back in circuit until the problem is fixed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@robbieglover2k 

The HubOne is a re-badged BT HH5. As PlusNet is a "value" provider their equipment is always likely to be basic. One would image the next time they upgrade their router it would be to a re-badged BT HH6

You can get BT HH6 or the even newer SmartHub2 routers quite checply off eBay. Instructions on how to set these up on PlusNet are available elsewhere on this forum.

Brian

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, thanks for the reply guys Smiley

I was just wondering in regards to this as it's the thing I've seen on both sides of the scales on these comparison sites which got me wondering about the current router and any plans for a possible new one. 

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Just to add @bmc I've just googled those hubs you mentioned and you can tell, I had no idea haha Smiley 

The interesting thing is this from a 2017 article (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link articles here so I'll just paste a bit)

"BT Smart Hub is much better than Sky, Virgin, and TalkTalk hubs, according to internal testing.

When the new BT Smart Hub (aka Home Hub 6) was unveiled, BT it boldly claimed that the router had the UK's most powerful Wi-Fi signals, and thus the implicit assertion that BT broadband is the best choice for fast, reliable downloads throughout the house.

The new BT Smart Hub is also capable of creating a Wi-Fi connection with a laptop 500 metres away through a single wall, or a tablet at 350m, says BT."

If this is so then that's great when they upgrade Smiley 

If you can link articles here then I'll share it of course but I just don't want to break any forum rules Smiley 

Farnzie
Dabbler

We have a Plusnet router - not sure of the exact model but its around 18 months old. My secretary at work has just got a replacement router from Plusnet and I see it has USB connectivity.

I had been on to plusnet support recently asking if this was available and had been told no? We specifically want this as we use a backup storage drive that is USB connected (our old ethernet one failed after 25 years of service) so I am a bit annoyed to find out I was lied to.

Is there any way I can get a newer Plusnet router from Plusnet?

If not is there a better router that Plusnet can offer support on available?

pboyde
Grafter
Fixes: 1

hi @Farnzie

It's probably not ideal for you but if you search ebay for "Plusnet Hub One" you can usually pick one up for around £10 or go for the superior HH6 for a few pounds more.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Farnzie 

I have just replied to your other post relating to a Smarthub 6.

The Plusnet Hub One does have USB connectivity but it uses the now discredited SMB1 protocol. Due to security concerns it is not recommended to be used. If you want to use it with Win 10 for instance you have to re-install the driver, at your risk! This has been sorted on the Smarthubs.

If you keep your Hub One you can always put it back in circuit should you choose if you have a problem, in terms of Smarthub support there are many of us on here who use them and will do our best to help with any queries.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@robbieglover2k 

The forum won't let me post a link if it starts https:// but if I ignore that bit and just copy from www onwards I can post.

You can see which router you have by looking here

www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

PlusNet could introduce a new router next week or it could be years aways. We won't know until they actually do it. If and when issued you usually have to re-contract to get a replacement unless you can prove a problem exists.

The newer BT Hubs generally appear to have better WiFi and can handle more devices. For £20 - £30 it might be worth getting one if you'd like something better now.

Brian

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

I was actually looking at this earlier @bmc .

I'm in no rush to upgrade my router just yet but I have thought about it, I just have felt that doing this Plusnet might not help when it comes to issue's which is the catch 22 for me (continously switching routers could be a pain?).

51H79BJQAxL._SL1280_

It's got pretty good reviews, apparently gives good Wi-Fi and I've seen a few people say it works really well with Plusnet.

It's this on Amazon if anyone wants to have a look: WAVLINK AC1200 Smart WiFi Router

Please let me know mod's if this is ok to link articles and pages, I have asked a couple of times but no one's ever answered me when I've mentioned it (if it's a problem please feel free to edit my post as I don't want to break any forum rules).

Thanks Smiley