Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN with hub one

FIXED
javixeneize
Dabbler

VPN with hub one

Hi

I already have  broadband with Plusnet and i have my own router, but i have received now a new hub one router. 

I will continue my own router, but it doesnt have VPN support. Hub one has

My point is... can i use the hub one connected to the main router just to provide VPN access?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: VPN with hub one

If your own router is used to connect to Plusnet services, then the answer is No to your question.

Most modern routers should be able to support VPN clients on your LAN, so it is unclear why you think your router does not have VPN support.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
javixeneize
Dabbler

Hi

Why not? If i put the new router under the main one as a network element, i set a vpn server there and i forward that port to the main router, i should be able to access the vpn in the hub one router, isnt it? I cant see the reason why it would not work

Thanks

bill888
Champion

Fix

If I understood you correctly, the Hub One does not have a built in VPN server.

Also, the Hub One is locked down, and so you won't be able to connect the red WAN port from the Hub One to the LAN port of your existing router, unlike other routers from Netgear, Dlink, LInksys and TPlink.

The red WAN port on the Hub One only supports PPPoE protocol.  ie. for direct connection to an ADSL or VDSL2 fibre 'bridge' modem, such as the Openreach fibre modems which used to be supplied.

javixeneize
Dabbler

Ok, it makes more sense now. Although i dont need WAN port in use for anything. Connection is provided by the main router and i will connect to hubone as a network element (LAN cable). I have tried it and it works

Now, next point.... Sagecom router brings a VPN configuration for sure but it might be hidden in plusnet router access, so i will need to load a new firmware to have access. I will create a new post for this

Thanks!

bill888
Champion

LEDE can provide OpenVPN server support.  Hub One is a rebadged Home Hub 5A.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/bt/homehub_v5a

However, installing it is beyond the scope of most readers as it also requires delicate soldering skills.

Unlikely Sagemcom will ever offer VPN server support in their routers, nor will ISPs want it, as they don't wish to increase their support costs for their supplied routers.

btw, if you connect the LAN port from Hub One to LAN port of your existing router to create a Wireless Access Point (WAP), remember to disable the DHCP server on the Hub One, otherwise you will run into problems!   Also, ensure the Hub One is not using same IP address as your router (ie. 192.168.1.254)