cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using own router - router name

SirGunar

Using own router - router name

Hi Everyone,

I have Plusnet boradband in the flat that I rent, and I changed the router to my own from previous flat, which is an EE Smart Hub, internet is working and all connected. My question is, that it's normal that the WiFi name is showing the EE Hub name and use it's related password right?

Just want to avoid that maybe old provider shows up that I am using their internet, but I assume this is impossible Smiley

Thanks a lot,

Gabor

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Using own router - router name

@SirGunar Welcome to the forum.

I'm not aware that the EE Smarthub variant will work with Plusnet and you certainly can't use the EE Log In credentials on a Plusnet account. Sounds to me that a EE service is still live on your line.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

SirGunar

Thanks @Baldrick1, that's possible, the move happened recently so maybe the EE account is not closed.

davel8r
Grafter
Fixes: 3

When you say EE name, do you mean the WiFi SSID (the name that you see on your devices when trying to connect). If so, that's extremely likely unless you've changed the name on the EE hub.

As @Baldrick1 mentioned, I'm not sure that the EE hub will work with Plusnet so if you can connect to the internet, look at your plusnet portal to see if you actually are connected to them. It's at https://www.plus.net/member-centre/broadband.

My assumption is that if you are connected to Plusnet, you'll see some broadband stats there. Maybe another forum user could confirm that's a correct assumption 🙂

... .edited. You could also go to speedtest.net. That shows you who you're connected to.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@davel8r , @SirGunar 

Or simply go to this site https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 It should come back with yourIPaddress.plus.com.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

SirGunar

@davel8r , @Baldrick1 

Thank you for very much your help. Yes I mean the SSID, the name that comes up when I connect to the WiFi with my phone or computer. On speedtest.net it shows Plusnet, and also the GRC site shows IPaddress.plus.net, so all looks good Smiley

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

As the EE Smart Hub is a BT Smart hub with different badges and dirmware, there is no reason why it would not work on PN.

It would have helped if the OP had said earlier that they had changed it to the PN username and password.