cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my own router

FIXED
Lucas712

Using my own router

Hi,  I am currently on a Fibre Optic Unlimited plan with Plusnet and I have a Plusnet 2704n router.  From what I have read on other topics, this router is rubbish, this is from my opinion and others.  I was looking for another router and thought that TP-LINK ARCHER C9 AC1900 Wireless Router would be a good buy, I was wondering if I would be able to use this instead of the one I currently have.  I do not have much experience with routers so I have no idea what I am supposed to look for.  We usually have about 4 - 6 people and they all use the WiFi.

Questions:

What do i need to look for when buying a router?

What will happen with the BT Opeanreach I have? (will I have to plug it into the new router or would it be built in)

Are there any routers which are under £100 that are better than the one I am looking at?

3 REPLIES 3
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Using my own router

Fix

The C9 can replace the 2704n.  You will have to keep using the Openreach modem because the C9 does not have a built in VDSL modem.

fwiw, look at the reviews posted at smallnetbuilder.com, and buy from a retailer with a good returns policy.  Archer C7, C8 and Netgear R6400 may be worth considering for under £100.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Lucas712

Thanks Smiley

biggles001
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Replaced the 2740 with a TP Link 8890

300Mbps Wireless N Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router TD

This works fine for me and is an all in one router,costing around £60.00.Don't know if it will do all you want but seems to have a reasonable wireless performance,which is augmented with a wifi booster.