Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using external modem with Hub One

dickij
Dabbler

Using external modem with Hub One

Hey Everyone

Our internet up here is a bit flaky thanks to the distance from the cabinet and underground aluminium cabling.

I've acquired a TP-W9970 with the idea of using it as a modem only, continuing using the hub one as the router. Unfortunately I'm just not succeeding! 

I've set the W9970 up following the attached to put it in bridge mode:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1332/

Unfortunately although the TP indicates it's connected to the internet the hub one refuses to acknowledge it at all. I can't access the modem through it's ip of 192.168.1.1 and the hub one just states disconnected.

I'm connecting them both through the WAN ports of each device.

Am I missing something obvious?

Many Thanks

Josh

4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Using external modem with Hub One

Do you have an Ethernet cable running from the WAN port of the Hub One to the WAN port of the TP-Link? If so, that won't work. You need to connect the WAN port of the Hub One to the LAN port of the TP-Link, and have the DSL port of the TP-Link connected to your phone socket.
All this said, why are you wanting to do this? What benefit do you perceive in doing so?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dickij
Dabbler

I'll give that try tomorrow evening then! So TP in bridge mode with the ethernet connected to the Hub on WAN and a normal lan for TP.

I've been getting daily disconnects that's been going on for years and nothing seems to fix it - sometimes it's multiple times a day. Openreach have just put it down to the quality of the cabling leading to our estate from the cabinet (estate built during the 'copper crisis' - everything else checks out fine. Our cabinet is full as well so I imagine there's quite a bit of cross talk as well.

I thought I'd try a different modem and this router/modem seems to get good reviews when paired to a huwaei cabinet, like ours. I've been running it all evening so far without any hiccups - so fingers crossed when I get home tomorrow it's stayed connected! 

dickij
Dabbler

Spoke too soon! Minutes after that message and it reconnected at 35, down from 40 😕

Back to the drawing board! I've noticed my SNR bounces all over the place though... between 8-10 every 5-10 seconds...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hey Josh.

While I'd struggle to assist with setting up your Hub One in router only mode, I think it's probably worth getting you back into the faults process for another engineer to further investigate the drops you're experiencing.

We should also be able to raise this an escalation to our suppliers once an engineer has been out in the last 28 days which may help in getting a permanent fix. I'd recommend reporting a fault at http://faults.plus.net, if you let us know over here when/if you do this we'll be happy to pick this up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet