cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a workphone on plusnet router for SIP/ VOIP?

FIXED
ekimrob
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Using a workphone on plusnet router for SIP/ VOIP?

Hi

I understand some configurations will be needed at my work / office end.

I would like to know if i need to do anything on my plusnet router to enable the facility. - so if i have problems , i know that my plusnet router is not the issue .

I know i have a dhcp - so the ip address could change.

Concerningly when i had my phone wired into the plusnet router - it was not fully set up and not working but i just left it alone . Later it started ringing. "SipVicious" was on the line!

Googling suggests that my sip port is open to port scanners. So thats one area that concerns me.

Any help appreciated.

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Using a workphone on plusnet router for SIP/ VOIP?

Fix

To give a sensible answer we need to know what sort of phone, and also what sort of phone system at your office.  And your method of connecting from home to office.

Just speaking about standalone SIP phones, like the Gigaset that I use for our home phone, these actively register with the services they will use.  Assuming even half decent firewall features, this does not leave any port open to anything except the service(s) you register with. 

If your phone is registering with your office, it really depends on the phone system.  For example our Cisco system has facilities for phones and soft phones to register securely over the Internet to the office.  Or we can run a VPN and let the phone register directly.

One quick thing you can check, most providers want any form or SIP ALG or inspection disabled on your router.  So you could have a look at your Plusnet router, see if that feature exists and make sure it's disabled.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

One quick thing you can check, most providers want any form or SIP ALG or inspection disabled on your router.  So you could have a look at your Plusnet router, see if that feature exists and make sure it's disabled.

I'm afraid the plusnet hub one has a sip alg and it's not possible to disable it. As the op has discovered the hub one has a flaw in the alg which allows sip traffic to the phone from anywhere. As to exactly how much of a security risk this is I'm not sure. Certainly, at the moment it's enough for my office to not allow use of voip phones with the hub one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ekimrob
Grafter

Thank you for responding to this thread. It was much appreciated,. 

ekimrob
Grafter

Thank you for this help. Much appreciated, and very valuable cos i do have a hub one router.