cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Technicolor as repeater wirelessly

AT
Dabbler

Using Technicolor as repeater wirelessly

I have read lots of articles and threads about extending your wifi range using an old router and confusion rules, most because people are going into detail about other routers.  I want to use my Hub One as primary router and connect old Technicolor as secondary router, wirelessly. Cabling is not practical as I want one upstairs and one downstairs; and we do not have single ring electric circuit so I am presuming power line adapters etc won't work. I have got into each router's admin to have a look. On the Hub I can see no means of switching on a repeater mode. Do I need to do this? If so how?  On the TG I cannot see any reference to DHCP (to turn it off). Do I need to be disconnected from the internet to configure each router to avoid confusion? I can see they have WPS but can see no reference to WDS.
I need step by step help here, in lay terms. Hope someone can help.

31 REPLIES 31
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Using Technicolor as repeater wirelessly

you can make the tg582 support wds but it doesn't work very well https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Wireless-bridge-with-Technicolor-TG582n/td-p/987491

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AT
Dabbler

I just have standard broadband (not fibre) so I think WDS is a non-starter having read Mister W and npr's views on it. Still hoping someone has the know-how to tweak each router.  My question was about using the Hub One as primary but I'm happy to swap them over if it makes any difference and use the TG582n as primary.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

If you read to the end of @MisterW's link you'll see that the TG582n doesn't support WDS at all.

Jovin123
Grafter

To turn off DHCP on the Technicolor, login then go to "Home Network" , "interfaces" then "LocalNetwork". Once you have those details up click "configure" on the top right and you will then be able to uncheck the box that says "Use DHCPv4 server". Scroll down a little further and click "apply".

AT
Dabbler

I think my only stumbling block now is how to make both routers go into repeater mode. I can do the IP address matching and disable the DHCP on b. Any help on repeater mode?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@Jovin123 wrote:

To turn off DHCP on the Technicolor, login then go to "Home Network" , "interfaces" then "LocalNetwork". Once you have those details up click "configure" on the top right and you will then be able to uncheck the box that says "Use DHCPv4 server". Scroll down a little further and click "apply".

What you describe is how to use the router as an Access Point - a device that permits wifi access to the main network.

This is completely different to a repeater or bridge.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jovin123
Grafter

I use mine as an Access Point, it works and effectively extends wifi altho i dont connect the 2 routers wirelessly which is what the OP wants to do. To be pedantic I dont mention Access Point, repeater or bridge, merely how to turn off DHCP which was part of the question.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

AT
Dabbler

OK major screw up. I got into the admin for the secondary (TG582n) and followed instruction ofnhow to remove DHCP. Success - it did a system restart but now I cannot access the thing at all! Window showing invalid address or no connection.  I have used IP config to locate the address in case the restart changed it. Looks like it went to 169.254.231.100 after I removed DHCP. I accessed it via Network Centre and found LAN2 connection then using properties reset it back to 192.168.1254. I did this for IP address and for IP default gateway - it applied a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. 

Still no joy. I cannot access the router. I think I have removed the DHCP without changing the IP. I guess it should have been done other way around. What do I do now???

Jovin123
Grafter

Probably easiest to press the re-set button at this point. TBH I dont thnk you can achieve what you want to do ie link the two routers wirelessly because of the routers lack of WDS support as mentioned by others earlier. Might be as well to get a dedicated Access Point which can be purchased for as little as £20 or so. Dont have any specific experience of brands but I believe some can be configured to act as Access Point or Repeater.

Shouldnt need to touch the Hub One  altho I guess the AP may need to be given a static IP outside of the routers DHCP range.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

npr
Pro

@AT, Re: your PM.

Don't think I can offer much more help than in the link I provided.

The Hub One stays unchanged.

The only changes you need make are to the Technicolor router:

1) change the routers gateway IP address from 192.168.254 to 192.168.1.1

2) disable DHCP

3) connect the two routers together via ports eth 1, don't use eth 4 if the technicolor is a version intended for vdsl.

If you're still having problems test the power line adapters are working by connecting a laptop in place of the technicolor router.

HTH

AT
Dabbler

I follwed npr's advice. I now have the routers connected and working with strong signals. BUT works fine on android devices but rubbish on the laptops. I reset the secondary's ipv4 as described and just once I got a Windows nessage on laptop about an ip conflict. It hasn't come up since but I can only reach a gmail server and nothing else (via laptop). Getting 'site cant be reached' messages even though there's a strong signal. Meanwhile the androids working fine even streaming  video. What's happening?

Ps. I have similar but not same ssid so that I can tell the slave from master and passwords are different. Could that be it? I dont care about having to hook up to one or other as long as it works.

npr
Pro

I assume you have the Techicolors DHCP server disabled -- important.

Try rebooting the laptop - putting it in sleep or hibernate will not reset the laptops DHCP lease.

Check the laptops firewall is set to "private network" for the Technicolors wifi connection.

Jovin123
Grafter

Were you able to connect the 2 routers together wirelessly?