cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Netgear R9000 Nighthawk X10 Router

edthefish2000

Using Netgear R9000 Nighthawk X10 Router

Hi All

Apologies if this has been covered in other posts, but I'm creating a new thread, as I am specifically wanting help with my Netgear R9000 router. Though it may be similar to other Netgear routers in the range, it's a new model & I am thinking there may be differences, which explain why I'm having an issue.

So, my current setup is:

PlusNet FTTC
BT Openreach ECI modem
Netgear DGND3700 (current router) connected to ECI via CAT5 cable to yellow WAN socket.

The above setup sees the LAN1 light on the ECI modem illuminate pretty much immediately and with my PlusNet credentials entered in as a PPPoE connection type, I get 70mb DL & 20 UL.

I want to swap out the DGND3700 for a Netgear R9000 (to get better WiFi & access to the extra features), which is just a router and has no modem (be it ADSL or VDSL) built in. As I understand it, since I have the ECI modem, a router only device would be just fine, as that's how my DGND3700 is working presently.

When I disconnect the DGND3700 from the CAT5 cable that connects to the ECI modem, the LAN1 light on the ECI modem goes off (as you'd expect). If I then connect that same cable to the "Internet" port on the R9000, the LAN1 light on th ECI does not illuminate.

So, has anyone else experience of a Netgear R9000 router and have you been able to get it working on PlusNet fibre?

I have had a support call with both Netgear & PlusNet on the line together, but they'd concluded the R9000 wouldn't work, as it's not VDSL compatible. I am thinking this is wrong as the ECI modem should be handling th VDSL element.

Help Smiley

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Using Netgear R9000 Nighthawk X10 Router

You have not said, but have you logged on to the R9000 and followed the instructions?

If so how far have you got?

edthefish2000

Re: Using Netgear R9000 Nighthawk X10 Router

Yes, of course... however, I have now found the cause of the issue.  It was with ECI Modem.  I had been turning it off and then connecting up the R9000, before power everything on (in the appropriate sequence).  This wasn't working and then I saw a suggestion to reset the ECI modem, rather than power off.  I tried this and now the R9000 is getting a LAN connection to the ECI modem.

I guess the ECI modem must "marry" itself to the first router it's connected to.  Resetting it brings about a "divorce" and then a new "marriage" to the R9000.

I'm just pleased to have gotten it working.  No thanks to Netgear support, who it seems merely confused the matter, when they spoke to PlusNet support, leaving them thinking I was wanting to remove the ECI modem, which I never did.

You live and learn....