cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Koala to limit internet access - Do I need to change the password? If so, which one and how?

FIXED
bsjcah
Hooked

Using Koala to limit internet access - Do I need to change the password? If so, which one and how?

Hello All,

I hope you can help.

My children spend too much time on the internet! Therefore I bought Koala, which is excellent. But here's the issue - they only have to go behind my back and log in directly via the router instead of through Koala (they have the password stored from before) and they can bypass Koala altogether.

Is there some way to change the main router password so they no longer have a valid one, please? If so, which password do I have to change, and how?

Thanks very much in advance,

Best,

B

8 REPLIES 8
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Using Koala to limit internet access - Do I need to change the password? If so, which one and ho

What router?

You can certainly change p/word as you control the router's settings.

My Netgear router has parental controls to limit i/net access:

http://www.netgear.com/lpc

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Using Koala to limit internet access - Do I need to change the password? If so, which one and ho

Yes you should be able to change any routers password, so the stored one becomes invalid.
Depends on the model, just log onto the settings and change the admin password.

Do that anyway, and if your router supports parental control as @Gel says then use them too.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

I think that there's some confusion here. My reading  is that what is required is to stop children from wirelessly logging into the router, so it's the wireless password that needs changing. My recommendation is to change both.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bsjcah
Hooked

Thanks, Baldrick1, that's what I will do. Just to be clear, I am not very au fait with these things, this is what I do?:

1. Log into administrator password  and change this, then

2. Whilst in there, change the Wifi password?

Thanks

B

bsjcah
Hooked

Thank you all, btw Smiley

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Fix

@bsjcah wrote:

Thanks, Baldrick1, that's what I will do. Just to be clear, I am not very au fait with these things, this is what I do?:

1. Log into administrator password  and change this, then

2. Whilst in there, change the Wifi password?

Yes, you will have to go to the advanced features to make the changes. Don't forget to save the changes when prompted.

One final warning, there is a way that this can be circumvented. I will not give the game away here as those who wish to defeat your efforts may be reading this. If you want more information on this then send me a private message.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bsjcah
Hooked

Hello, thanks, I will do that now. How do I find Advanced features, though, please? I can't see it anywhere!

bsjcah
Hooked

Finally managed it, thanks to you all Smiley

B