cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Billion 7800DXL with Plusnet/Sagemcom Hub One for FTTC fibre

arkay
Dabbler

Use of Billion 7800DXL with Plusnet/Sagemcom Hub One for FTTC fibre

Can I use Billion 7800DXL in conjunction with Plusnet Hub One?

I have recently updated my PlusNet internet account from ADSL to Fibre (FTTC).  Prior to this I had been using a Billion Bipac 7800DXL modem/router for some years, very satisfactorily, and I wanted to continue using this for the fibre connection.  However, on following some instructions for the 8800 I couldn't get it to work.  I have since seen an indication that the 7800DXL doesn't support the necessary VDSL connection that would be needed for this, presumably because it's too old.  So for the time being I've been using the supplied Plusnet/Sagemcom Hub One for both modem and router duties.

Can I use the two devices together?  Ie can I use the Hub One for the modem functionality and the 7800 for router and wireless?

I presume I would need to turn off the wireless mode on the Hub One and turn off the WAN functionality on the 7800.  If I did that should I just use a standard network cable from the one to the other? 

The 7800 has one RJ45 socket that is labelled "EWAN", and the Hub One has one that is red and labelled "WAN".  Should I just connect those together?  And are there any other setings I should use to improve the functionality?  Or indeed anythng essential?

16 REPLIES 16
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Use of Billion 7800DXL with Plusnet/Sagemcom Hub One for FTTC fibre

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@arkay 

You cannot use the Hub One as a bridge modem so that won't work. Your two options are:

1. As you say, switch off the Hub One wireless but also configure your Billion as an Access Point. To do this switch off the Billion DHCP and give the Billion an IP address in the range 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.63. Connect the Billion to one of the Hub One LAN ports.

2. Get a stand alone modem. You can get a Huawei HG612 (you need a Model 3B) from an auction site such as Ebay very cheaply. These can be unlocked if you want to get access to your line statistics. Also some of the cheap TP-Link modem/routers have a bridge modem mode that can be used.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

arkay
Dabbler

Ok, I think I'll try the second option; it sounds like a better technical approach.

If I've understood the explanations I've found a "bridge modem" is what might be thought of as just a modem, taking DSL/phone line on one side and presenting a single network connection on the other, with no routing, filtering, filrewalling etc.  So that needs connecting to a separate router - the Billion in my case, with its WAN side (ie modem) disabled.

Is the HG612 just a modem?  ie no routing.  ie bridge modem functionality only?

And do I need to get one that is already unlocked - ie by a modification or firmware change? (something that should be noted by the seller)  Or is it just a matter of entering a password and changing a setting?

Baldrick1

@arkay 

If you get a standard HG612 it’s simply a case of plugging the one exposed RJ45 socket to the WAN input to your router and putting your Plusnet credentials into your router, that is, it’s straight plug and play.

You only need to unlock it if you want to reflash the firmware to get access to performance data, see the Kitz web site for details

Moderator and Customer

arkay
Dabbler

Thank you for all of this - you are very helpful.

I now have a Huawei modem.  I have yet to try to connect it, or attempt to unlock it, but will do so soon.

Can you tell me do I need to connect directly to it in order to enter my PlusNet log-in credentials (ie @plusdsl.net), or does the PPPoE setting on the Billion router mean that it can take the credentials and pass them to the modem?

It looks from other things I've read that it's standard BT/OpenReach set-up means that it will automatically log into the correct OpenReach VDSL port, where the credentials are always the same, but for PlusNet the account is different for each user.

Regards,

Richard.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@arkay  The modem is in bridging mode, and does not require any user login information or other configuration details, that is handled by the PPPoE details in the Billion router

arkay
Dabbler

Ok, I've now tried the combination of Bilion 7800DXL router and Huawei HG612 modem and I'm not getting a working internet connection.

I have the Lan 1 socket on the Huawei connected to the EWAN/Lan 4 socket on the Billion.  I've set the WAN settings on the Billion as indicated in various answers in this forum and on PlusNet Help pages (and done similar through the Quick Start page), and I don't see a connection being made.

Is that wiring correct?

The Billion, shortly after it's plugged in, shows its DSL LED on (solid green).  That stays on.

The Billion's Status page doesn't show a WAN connection and I don't get working internet.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@arkay  You connection to the modem is correct, have you configured the Billion PPPoE set up to use the Ethernet WAN mode (not DSL)

I would disable IPv6 as Plusnet don't support it, also the 802.1p settings should be disabled,  (set to -1) the Vlan tagging is done by the modem.

Any default WAN interfaces that are not being used used can be removed from the config.

arkay
Dabbler

Ah that might be it.  I have it configured as DSL.  I'll set it to Ethernet.

And that would then mean all the 802.1p/q VLAN settings go away.

(I can't try it now but I will sometime in the next few days)

R.

arkay
Dabbler

Well, so much for "next few days"......

So after a very long delay, I've had a couple of goes at this and it still isn't working.

I have the HG612 connected to my incoming DSL cable, and by a network cable to the Billion router.  It is showing three green lights, for Power, DSL and LAN1.  So I think it's connecting satisfactorily to the incoming VDSL and to the router.

I have the router set to Type=PPPoE, with 802.1p priority and 802.1q VLAN ID both set to -1.

All other parameters default. 

Does anyone have any ideas of other things that I might try?

I haven't updated the firmware in the HG as I think that is only necessary for seeing more line stats.  Please let me know if I need to do this, for eg if it is likely currently to be locked to BT.

I have notices that in some of the expanations of updating firmware it is suggested that the HG should be connected to the router using two cables.  That seemed unlikely to be needed for normal use.  Is that something special for updating firmware?

Regards,

Richard.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@arkay  Saw your post yesterday but a bit busy so couldn't reply until now. It sounds like the HG612 is connected but something is still wrong in the Billion config.

My suggestions in Message #9 back in March are still relevant, have you set up the WAN port to Ethernet so the EWAN port is used to connect to the modem. It should be a simple Ethernet connection using PPPoE as shown on page 118 of this manual .... BiPAC 7800DX(L) Version Released: 2.32b  Here's link if you need it.......

http://www.billion.uk.com/user_manual/User_Manual-BiPAC7800DX-7800DXL.pdf 

Not sure why there are 2 screens on that page they look identical, I would disable IPv6 as it isn't supported.

Your username is as you probably know is in the form username@plusdsl.net with your account password.

If this still doesn't work you may need to check the default gateway and see what that is but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Also you could check the modem by connecting it directly to a PC and setting up a dial up PPPoE connection. 

Hope you can sort it.

Baldrick1

@arkay 

Your VLAN settings should be:

802.1p  0

802.1q  101

see https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Unless it's been tampered with the HG612 it should work straight out of the box with no settings required, it's all done in the router. It sounds like it's working at the moment so leave it alone. They certainly aren't locked to BT. If it's been fiddled with just reset it using the reset switch on the back.

You can only get access to your line stats if you hack the firmware, see  https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm. This is the only time that you need to use LAN2 output.

Moderator and Customer

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Baldrick1  the modem handles the vlan settings, this router does not have a VDSL modem built in.

arkay
Dabbler

Sorry I keep going quiet.  I need a spare evening when I can turn off the internet and fiddle with this, and that has unexpectedly not happened for a few weeks.  Once I get a chance I'll run through the settings again and check against the linked article.