Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usb Flash Drive as NAS

Stringwalker
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Usb Flash Drive as NAS

Hi, is it possible to use the usb port on the hub one as NAS drive with a flash drive, I wanted to use it to back up files from my Android phone wirelessly.

Could I send and download files to the flash drive, or an external hard drive, using an android device, thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
harrym1byt
Rising Star

Re: Usb Flash Drive as NAS

I don't know what a NAS drive is, nor do know anything specific about the Hub One, but for routers generally - yes you can. However it seems you can only use one USB stick in one of the routers, if you happen to have two such routers with a USB socket - I spent ages trying to get a USB stick to work in each of two routers.

Stringwalker
Rising Star

Thanks for reply, NAS is just network attached storage, basically a hard drive available over wireless.

I use Astro file explorer and it picks up my hub one straight away, just waiting for my new flash drive to arrive to test it out.

I think ES file explorer has the same function but not sure if a PC is needed to map the drive.
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Yes., should be fine. Just plug the stick into the back of the router & you should see.it as a network device.

Stringwalker
Rising Star

Thanks for reply, it"s working great, found an old 16GB flash drive, at first I used Astro file manager to upload a video file but it was very slow.

When I tried to play it though it just started downloading and wouldn't play so I tried ES file explorer and it just streamed straight away, giving me the option to choose my favourite video player.

I can now free up space on my phone, stream my music and videos, backup my data, very pleased.
Stringwalker
Rising Star

Just one more question, apart from the autorun.inf file there's a few other files and folders on the drive, can these be deleted.

I've included a screen shot, the only folder which I created was the video one, thanks.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Club Sandisk appears to be bloatware that encourages you to install various SanDisk partner software if it's run in Windows.

SanDisk Secure Access is for if you want to encrypt data on the drive but then you would only be able to access it on a PC/laptop.

autorun.inf is a Windows boot file that no doubt encourages you to use/install the above if the drive is inserted during boot time.

So I'd delete all of that. In fact I went a stage further with my drives and reformatted them to NTFS so that the factory FAT32 4Gb file size limit wasn't a problem for me anymore.

southerner
Aspiring Pro

Yes, ES File Explorer is a neat feature-rich file manager for Android users. I use it on all my Android devices. The Pro version is even nicer cosmetically & without ads.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

I dropped ES File Explorer like a stone when it got sold, and its new owners started loading it with bloat and scammy adware

https://www.androidauthority.com/uninstall-es-file-explorer-691930/

https://www.androidpit.com/this-is-why-you-should-not-use-es-file-explorer

I use Solid Explorer these days, I think it was a couple of quid but totally worth it.

southerner
Aspiring Pro

No ads/ad/bloatware in Pro.

Stringwalker
Rising Star

Hi, sorry for delay in replying, just got home.
Thanks for your replies, I will delete those files and folders, just thought I'd check first.

ES file explorer use to my favourite some time ago but I to stopped using it but tried it again after watching a youtube video about setting up a usb drive with a router.
Stringwalker
Rising Star

I tried Solid Explorer, it has messed my phone up, can't use Astro file manager anymore.

Solid Explorer detected draw over other apps and needed it disabled, which is impossible with my android version, caused by a security update.

Now Astro is asking the same thing after a restart, so can't use it anymore. There's no way to fix this, even manually disabling draw over other apps on every app doesn't fix this.

I would avoid Solid explorer if your running Android 6.0, or maybe it's conflicting with another app.
Stringwalker
Rising Star

My apologies, it seems it's ES file explorer causing the problem, tried a task killer and killed each app individually and tried installing again, evertime it was ES file explorer.

So if I force stop ES and then install an app and grant permissions it works, only thing is ES doesn't draw over other apps?
Stringwalker
Rising Star

Just one last thing, I tried my old favorite file explorer simplely called "File Manager +".

It does everything ES can do, streams great, no ads either.