cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from a PlusNet Hub One for wireless stablity?

gramachree
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Upgrading from a PlusNet Hub One for wireless stablity?

I have a Hub One. I also have circa 20 wireless devices: phones, tablets, laptops, printer, Alexa devices. Once every couple of days one of my wifi devices will simply disconnect. Today it was an Amazon Echo 10 feet away from the Hub One. Sunday it was a Kasa smart plug 5 feet away. Thursday it was an AudioPro Addon C5a 2 feet away. 

I have WiFi Analyzer on my phone. I'm on Channel 6 for 2.4GHz and no-one else. have already split 2.4 from 5 with separate SSIDs - that helped somewhat. I have turned wifi off on two Devolo dLAN 1200+ that connect ethernet televisions - and that helped somewhat. 

These days my first port of call is to turn the affected device off and on again - that seems to work three times in four. If that fails then I refresh the Smart Wireless on the router (that seems to be as effective as rebooting the router without disturbing my wired connections).

The reach of the signal of the Hub One seems to be good enough. But the dropping is very annoying without being life threatening.

I've been onto PlusNet support who say I've pretty well done everything they'd expect. They are now suggesting I just try 5 or 10, instead of 20, devices. I can see their logic but it is a bit of a pain.

If there were a good solid alternative suggestion I'd go for it. Before Hub One I used to use Netgear routers.

Does this scenario sound familiar to anyone? Did you go for a more capable router? If so, what was it and did it work?

(I have one small complication, owning a Synology NAS, I do have some port forwarding rules, but I doubt any serious device would find that a problem.)

Thank you, 
John

1 REPLY 1
gramachree
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: Upgrading from a PlusNet Hub One for wireless stablity?

I may be answering my own question here. I don't think I will replace the router. I think I will get a Mesh WiFi system. Most reviewers rate Google's as the best. But there are shouts for BT, Netgear and TP-Link too.

Let's see if one of these provides for a more stable wifi environment.