cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from ADSL to Fibre and new Plusnet Hub One question.

harz99

Upgrading from ADSL to Fibre and new Plusnet Hub One question.

I'm in the process of upgrading PlusNet 17mg ADSL to Fibre, and the kind people have sent me a new Hub One.  As I'm using an old BT Hub3 at the moment, can I start using the new router now or should I wait for the actual upgrade to Fibre to take place. Sorry, bit of a technophobe! 

6 REPLIES 6
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Upgrading from ADSL to Fibre and new Plusnet Hub One question.

Go for it. The Hub One handles both ADSL & FTTC.
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi harz99,

Thank you for getting in contact with us over our community forums.

You can plug in your new Plusnet Hub One as @Browni mentioned it can handle both ADSL and FTTC connections. Just get in touch with us if you need any further assistance & we'll be more than happy to help

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@harz99

Having recently done just this while upgrading from ADSL to "fibre" I have a couple of pieces of advice.

1) when you get the e-mail from Plusnet saying the upgrade has happened it probably hasn't. The integration between the BT Openreach and Plusnet systems seems imperfect and my email was when the job had been taken by Openreach (perhaps scheduled) rather than completed. It took a few days for the work to happen.

2) Once the work seems to have happened, it took a complete factory reset and power cycle on the Hub One to get the fibre working and another a couple of days later to get the speed up to the correct rate.

Best of luck !

I am the satisfied customer....
harz99

Mark, yes you are quite correct in what you say.  Took two phone calls to get that info about order date versus actual changeover date. The first to CS got the response that the date in the email was correct and I would change to fibre that day which of course was wrong, the second to the technical team got the correct info and also the advise you gave about powering off etc.

It is working well on the download just below 36mb, bit disappointed with upload at only 2mb, though that's twice as fast as it was on ADSL.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@harz99

The 2Mb/s upload is what Plusnet offer on the 38Mb service although you have to look hard to find it written anywhere.

That's why I went for the more expensive service.

I nearly went for BTs 55/10 offer but I couldn't face the offshore call centre for support.

I am the satisfied customer....
jstallan
Grafter

It would also be good for PN to give you a proposed go live date rather than you ask them - well, that was the situation in my case....

Ideal scenario is

1) Recieve the email saying the upgrade is in the system and passed the appropriate tests with PN and BT, Giving a cutover/live date (generally 2/3 weeks ahead)

2. Recieve email one or two days prior to go live giving any preparation guidelines you might need.

3) Text message on the morning of the go live

4) Text message once go live has happened giving troubleshooting hints and tips.

The above might help reduce the calls, frustration, uncertainty of the migration and improve the whole experience thus resulting in increased business.

Oh, I'm available for work in your process/service delivery department as required following 30 years service in a global IT service company  😉