Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade question - router

FIXED
mark43
Dabbler

Upgrade question - router

I helped my parents upgrade from ADSL to FTTC at the weekend, it said they would need a new router so we paid the delivery charge, but it looks like Plusnet have sent a 2704n which is the same as the dreadful one they already have, is that the standard now? I assumed they'd get the hub the same as I did when I joined a couple of years ago?

Annoyingly it looks like the new service has gone live today and their connection has stopped working, and the new router has yet to arrive ...
13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Upgrade question - router

@mark43 

No this is ADSL only. They need a not much better Hub One, which does both ADSL and fibre. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mark43
Dabbler

Thanks, though the order status show a 2704n as sent. I did a search on here for 2704n and found lots of threads suggesting that is supplied for fibre (I did mean to put this question in the fibre forum but put it here by mistake)
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Baldrick is too modest to tell you, but he has posted a superb guide to using the BT HH6 on Plusnet. Quite a few on Gumtree as I write, prices £10 to £30 including one in Southampton for £20 still in the box. Some on eBay too, if you can find one near you it's well worth the trip, keep the Hub One as a spare.

mark43
Dabbler

Thanks, I actually ended up switching to my old BT myself, so I have my Plusnet hub spare that I should be able to use for them.

I should have done that originally I guess but am trying to avoid visiting them with the whole Covid situation, so figured it would be simpler to just have them sent a new one.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@mark43 so I have my Plusnet hub spare that I should be able to use for them.

Be aware that you will need to manually configure it with THEIR username and password, and if it is ever factory reset it will revert to your username / password since it is associated with your account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mark43
Dabbler

Thanks, yep was planning to do that, but hadn't considered what would happen if I ever factory reset, so thanks for the heads up on that.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If they will be using it permanently then it may be possible to get it associated with their account rather than yours.

Although they should have been sent a Hub One anyway, since the 2704 will not work with Fibre.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mark43
Dabbler

Thanks, I'll see what arrives though the order details seem to suggest a 2704.

As I say though, I've seen various threads such as the couple I've linked below which seem to suggest the 2704 is supplied for fibre, but maybe I'm getting confused?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Sagecom-2704n-vs-2704n-FTTC/m-p/1265198

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/2704n-replacement/m-p/1289179
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @mark43 

You would have needed a Openreach modem for it to work.

Dan

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@mark43  You have linked some posts from 4 or 5 years ago when the 2704 was used for FTTC but it was connected to an external  Openreach modem which provided the VDSL2 connection. The 2704 has a modem that only supports the various types of ADSL signals. Openreach modems are no longer supplied, a Plusnet Hub1 should have been sent out.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

Those are very old threads. In the early days of Fibre(FTTC) , BT Openreach supplied a modem as part of the engineer install. That being the case, all that was required was a router. At the time, PlusNet were using the 2704 as their standard router for ADSL. They produced a version with tweaked firmware allowing one of the LAN ports to repurposed as a WAN port and thus work as a router when connected to a BT modem.

BT stopped providing modems a number of years ago, and since then PlsuNet have provided the Hub one , which is a combined VDSL(FTTC) compatible modem and router device.

edit:must type faster! Although it would be nice if this rubbish Lithium forum software could tell you that posts had been made whilst you were typing , 'like the old forum software did'!!!

mark43
Dabbler

Ahhh thank you everyone, I can't believe I didn't look at the dates of those posts, I guess I was right that I was getting confused... 🙂 I'll mark as fixed.

It's still odd that the order status shows they sent a 2704 but I guess either that's wrong or they've actually posted the wrong thing, will wait and see what turns up.

Obviously a shame the upgrade has completed before the hub has arrived as now they have no service, but I guess I can at least use my spare for now.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'