Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from TG582n to Hub One

AJK
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Upgrade from TG582n to Hub One

Hi, we've been on the PN Unlimited Fibre with anytime calls for over 2 years now and to be honest the TG582n isn't great for Wi-Fi. I really need dual band here and I do have dual band and AC compatible devices so I'm wondering if the Hub One would be the way to go. If so does anyone know whether it's possible to get an upgrade without paying £99.99 plus postage which is what I was told via twitter. For that price I may as well look elsewhere. 

19 REPLIES 19
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Upgrade from TG582n to Hub One

Hello there. If you're out of your contract (or within the final 3 months), our customer options team (0800 013 2632) should be able offer you one as part of a new fibre contract. They may ask for the P&P charge of £6.99 though.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Alisonhall36
Hooked

Hi I have a new Hub One and currently have an oldTG582N plugged in.

When I plug in the Hub one it doesnt work? I have made sure the account is right but it doesnt connect?

Does something have to adjusted or do I have to change the socket over to a regular Socket?

Etc., A How to would be great?

Thanks

JH

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Alisonhall36

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Alisonhall36
Hooked

Hi thanks,

But that doesn't tell me anything.

It works on the dual socket using the RJ11, but not on the standard telephone jack, with or without a filter?
Any ideas, or would I have to replace the dual out with a standard NTE5? or even move the Dual socket!
Didn't want to do that as I may need to move the router back if the wireless is really degraded due to structure as we live in a townhouse!

Await your thoughts?

Thanks JH

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi Alisonhall36,

Are you plugging the hub one into a BT Openreach modem as well?

Alisonhall36
Hooked

Hi Ben.

No I have unplugged the original BT Modem and the TG582.

I have only plugged in the Hub one

When in the RJ11 it works fine, When in the normal Telephone Socket with or without filter it doesnt connect.
I understand on these types of Sockets the telephone point is prefiltered?

Still no idea why it doesn't connect, and as the interface has been closed down to simplify for the masses. I have no idea as I cannot see the issue in logs or any thing.

Thanks JH

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Thanks for getting back to us. Sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your new router.

As I understand it, when your Hub One is connected into the top DSL hole of the pre filtered faceplate, it connects to the internet? But if you connect the DSL cable to the bottom hole through a microfilter, it doesn't work? Which should be correct, because that would essentially mean the router is being double filtered which can cause it not to sync properly.

If you would like to use the router with a microfilter you would need to unscrew the phone socket to reveal the test socket behind.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions please let me know.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Alisonhall36
Hooked

Hi Anoush
Yes that is partially correct but I have also tried the connection unfiltered in the bottom socket and it still doesn't work?!
Thanks JH
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Can I suggest you reinstate the BT Openreach fibre modem and substitute the TG582n router with your new Plusnet Hub One.  Connect the red coloured ethernet WAN socket from the Hub One to the modem using existing ethernet cable.  Do not connect the Hub One direct to the phone socket.

This is to check whether the router is working in first instance with your Plusnet account details.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Alisonhall36
Hooked

Thanks Bill888

but I have mentioned twice that the hub one works fine in the RJ11 socket, so the settings are good.

Any other idea's?

thanks JH

bill888
Champion

My apologies.  You appear to have a master phone socket with an Openreach VDSL filtered face plate.  You have confirmed the Hub One works when connected to the upper RJ11 DSL socket.

You have tried to plug the Hub one into the lower phone jack, with or without a microfilter and it does not work.   This is the expected behaviour from a filtered socket.   Your internally wired phone jack extension sockets will not work with the Hub One too.

It is not clear, but are you wanting to use the Hub One on a telephone socket or with a cheap telephone extension lead to another room?

You can remove the filtered face plate and revert back to conventional NTE5 single phone jack socket. Your telephone extension sockets will then work with the Hub One.  You must also fit microfilters to all connected devices.  ie. telephones and Hub One.

Here is a video showing how the VDSL face plate was originally fitted.  Removing it is just as easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_zmy9rv0cQ

However, it is quite likely you do not have the original shorter screws, should you decide to remove the VDSL face plate.

I have to warn you that there is a small risk you may suffer from degraded broadband service if there are problems with the quality of your internal phone extension wiring.

I would suggest running a BT wholesale performance test, before and after removing the VDSL face plate which may help identify any signs of a degraded service.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

After the initial test is completed, click on 'Further Diagnostics' and enter your telephone number.   Record the 'IP profile' in the Test Results page.

Alisonhall36
Hooked

Hi Bill

Yes you are correct. I have internal wiring originally run by a builder to another room. This has been tested in vgc condition as i used to be a BT engineer. The socket was replaced on the NTE5 with a VDSL socket not just a faceplate. So I would have to remove the socket as a whole and replace with an NTE5.

Which I didn't want to do unless I have to. Which it sounds like you are suggesting.

My question is this, Why doesnt it work on the filtered socket? Is it that its not filtered in the same way as you would use a standard filter on a standard socket? Just seems odd that it is done this way.

I shall swap out sockets at the weekend if I get time.

Many thank for your time.

JH

bill888
Champion

The purpose of the  'filtered' socket/faceplate, is to block (ie. 'filter out') the 'broadband' signal from being distributed unnecessarily to the telephone jack, and any additional telephone jack extensions, which can degrade the broadband signal.  

Alisonhall36
Hooked

Thanks Bill

I understand now. Many years ago when broadband first came in, the filters, didn't filter out the unwanted signal they actively shifted to a different frequency. Clearly, technology no longer works in that way!

So it does mean I will have to shift the box and test, then put it back if it's too bad!

JH