cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating an old router

skibum84

Updating an old router

I have been with plusnet for 5-6 years and over the last few months have had problems with my internet dropping out.

The first time this happened an engineer came and sorted the problem because it couldn't be sorted over the phone(i think he updated the firmware). This time the Plusnet customer service guy has tested the line, told me the router is the problem and I need to buy a new router. Having been with the company so long I would expect a new router to be provided!

So what can I do? Can I update the router firmware myself? I have tried to do this through other topics and get a .bin file downloaded?! Not sure what to do with that. 

If I get someone elses old router, they have used for other broadband providers, will it work on my line?

Thank you in advance for any help.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Updating an old router

As this post has been transferred from the 'Broadband' topic I assume that you are on standard ADSL, not fibre. The first bit of advice is not to buy a hub zero from Plusnet. This is a very basic router. I would buy an ADSL router off Ebay. Whilst you can reconfigure Plusnet Hub 1/BT Homehubs (you will find how if you do a search on this forum), I would stick with mainstream manufacturers such as Asus, Netgear, or TP Link. The following link will show you what data you need to enter for an ADSL connection.

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

I have an Asus N55U which worked very well on ADSL before I upgraded to fibre. You will find these plus other routers with similar performance being sold on Ebay by people upgrading to fibre for £30-40 which will give you dual frequency (2.4 and 5Ghz) the option to set up a Guest Network plus other features.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

@Baldrick1 - If I was to buy a Hub 1 from eBay, would it be quite easy to set up? I mean, since that particular router is assigned to PN, would that also mean the details connected to it would be for the original owner? Thereby making it kinda useless for anybody else to use?

And is it it a modem and router or just a router?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I'm sorry I am not sure how easy it is. I understand that they can be set up using the advance settings but I believe that PN have the ability to remotely control them, which is why I would avoid any ISP supplied router. If you buy a second hand non ISP supplied router you can reset it back to factory settings and be sure it will not be remotely modified. The Hub one is a modem and router

Hopefully someone  will come along and advise further on the Hub one.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

A Hub One bought off eBay will work fine on Plusnet ADSL.

You may need to reset the Hub One. See instructions:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

Then log into the Hub using a web browser pointing to 192.168.1.254.

Navigate to the following page and add your Plusnet account username (eg. username@plusdsl.net) and password, to ensure the Hub One connects to Plusnet broadband services.  (Otherwise, the hub may retrieve the username and password of the previous owner of the Hub One)

Settings-Broadband.jpg

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-