cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Up to date router

Merluza1
Dabbler

Up to date router

Hi, this is probably very boring but I have an ancient Thomson router supplied when I signed up and live in fear of it failing. It works as well as ever but it is now very long in the tooth. I would be perfectly happy with whatever Plusnet supply as my needs are comparatively simple but can’t find a way of getting a new one. I will buy a third party one if necessary but would rather avoid the faff. Can I get one or do I need to buy something else, I’m not using a fibre connection? If so what is recommended?

9 REPLIES 9
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Up to date router

Try contacting Customer Options Team.  Plusnet will usually provide a free router if you agree a new minimum term contract.  You may have to pay for postage.

The Plusnet Hub Zero (Sagemcom 2704n) is currently supplied router to new ADSL broadband customers.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

"The Plusnet Hub Zero (Sagemcom 2704n)"

That's a pretty rubbish router though.  Maybe worth keeping as a spare, but decent ADSL routers come up on Ebay all the time.  I got a brand new unused Zyxel 8924 for £30.

Merluza1
Dabbler

Thanks for your responses. People often say the Plusnet supplied routers are poor but what is the problem with them? Is it because they are unreliable or do they not offer the same options, or efficiencies as others? If the latter what do the other routers offer that the Plusnet ones don't? I know I can install something else but am looking for way of least resistance unless there is a real benefit, such as speed or reach.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Merluza1 

Read this review, especially the bit that goes “these are some of the worst speeds we’ve seen from any router.https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/plusnet/1403635/plusnet-hub-zero-2704n-review

If you don’t mind a bit of faff following these instructions a BT Smarthub 6 cost very little from auction sites such as Ebay, work on both ADSL and fibre and are far superior devices.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Merluza1
Dabbler

Hmm, well that’s pretty damning, maybe I’ll look elsewhere and get over my desire for the simplest solution, perhaps I’ll look for a BT smart hub 6.

Thanks for the last link.

Merluza1
Dabbler

I've been looking at some BT SH 6s, particularly on Amazon, and they say they are locked to BT, the odd one or two on eBay say usable on BT and Plusnet. They are obviously compatible with Plusnet as so many people here use them, are they ready to connect after a reset or should I be looking for particular ones that have been unlocked? There is also some discrepancy between the tech details, do they vary depending on age or is its down to inaccuracies by the posters?

Thanks

Merluza1
Dabbler

A month on and I’m no further forward. The more I read the cloudier it seems to get. Re the bt smart hub 6 I read that there are two models, you can’t switch off the fon, whatever that is, and so it goes. I was more or less sold on getting one before exploring further. I would be grateful to anyone who can tell me this works, even though the sellers all say only on bt, or recommend something that will. I don’t need either bells or whistles. 

Thanks 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Merluza1 

All Smarthub 6s work on Plusnet. The best guidance I can give if you are confused then is to go for a model 088315, which is a FTTC Business model. These do not support FON so whether this is an issue is irrelevant as it’s only causing people to get hot under the collar who have residential versions.  You will find the setting instructions if you follow the link I provided above.

I would get one from an auction site such as EBay. One example. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Business-Smart-Hub-6-088315-Brand-New/202966412701?epid=2217136174&has...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Merluza1
Dabbler

Thanks, very helpful.