cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable connect and going to 4g

jackieherbertva

Unstable connect and going to 4g

I'm fairly new to Plusnet but sadly have had nothing but problems. I'm getting unstable WiFi connection on zoom calls and when I cast to my telly my fitness app. Tonight WiFi is on but my phone isn't getting a connection and using all my data. This is so frustrating, never had any of these issues with my previous supplier. Does anyone have any suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 247

Re: Unstable connect and going to 4g

Welcome to the forums, @jackieherbertva . Which router do you have, and do you use a laptop/desktop, or just wireless devices - which ones?

John
jackieherbertva

Hi, I use everything wirelessly. My phone is a Samsung and I normally cast that via a firestick. My laptop is a hp pavilion. The hub says it's a plusnet hub one.
I'm not great at tech, but it's frustrating as I never had this problem previously. Thanks for replying.
jab1
Legend

Right, so you are on Fibre, not ADSL, and sounds like you still have the router in its default state - which doesn't work very well, especially if you have a mixture of 2.4 and 5GHz devices, which I suspect you do.

I can't find the detailed instructions for sorting this just now - I know they exist, but I was on ADSL with PN, and had no need of them - I'll have a look in the morning, unless anyone beats me to it.

John
jackieherbertva

Thank you kindly, it's all a bit alien to me.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@jackieherbertva when did you start experiencing these problems, or have you always had them?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jackieherbertva

Hi, it's always happened. I haven't had time to look into it until now, all a bit daunting as I'm not tech savy. I managed to look at the ip address yesterday, most of my stuff is connected via the lower hertz my husbands ipad is on the 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

@jackieherbertva 

See here for splitting the bands  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Many use a BT Smarthub 6 as they are much better devices and are available cheaply from auction sites. See here for more info and link to how to set one up.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Thanks for that, @Baldrick1 , I'd forgotten I was supposed to have posted the band-splitting instructions. Embarrassed

John