cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre Extra - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A - Connection Challenge

FIXED
gadlx

Unlimited Fibre Extra - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A - Connection Challenge

I've hunted across the forums against the above router, but can't seem to find anything directly answering my question.

Just moved house and swapped from John Lewis to plusnet. I'd favour using the former router - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A as I have need of creating a VLAN (and use the more advanced USB features etc).

From all I can see the router should be compatible (VDSL2) up to the higher speeds. 

Having previously used with John Lewis it was plug and play on the broadband connection side and then i spent quite a while in the admin of the router sorting out other home networking bits.

Those who have this router will know that the number of parameters on most windows are significant. I've done a factory reset and attempted to amend the VDSL connection with the obvious elements such as username and password, as well as matching as many settings as I can find from both the online setting up another router guide and the connection settings I can see on my account.

Orange light for the DSL line connection is present and solid, however consistently getting a red world(internet) light implying no IP connection, either no response from DHCP server, no PPPoE response or authentication failed.

I find it difficult to believe it is the authentication (as in my username and password) as can happily log into my plusnet account online and as far as I understand the account and passwords are the same (please correct me if not), I've run it on both auto method and CHAP as authentication, given connection details state CHAP as authentication.

I've tried setting the DNS servers to the fixed ones shown on connection settings of the Hub One

I believe I need to remain a dynamic Broadband IP address, as opposed to changing to a static one (matching that of the hub one). The only element that i can't seem to enter (find a place for) is the default gateway. 

So questions are

A) am I missing something that prevents the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A being compatible

if answer to the above is no and this should work then

B) am I being thick or missing a setting in the connection configuration, any pointers welcomed, i've run from amending factory presets and from deleting all connections and setting up from scratch.

Thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Unlimited Fibre Extra - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A - Connection Challenge

Did you remember to put @plusdsl.net after your username?

Have you got any special characters in your password? 

gadlx

@Mustrum

Yep the @plusdl.net was in the user ID

password (at least the one I'm using to log in to the website account) is alphanumeric, no spaces, hyphens or special characters

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Have you got the vlan enabled and 802.1q set to 101 ( and maybe 802.1p set to 1 or 2 )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gadlx

Settings are all as per the below, so 

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

It asks for: Use:
Broadband username or login name yourusername@plusdsl.net
Connection type or encapsulation PPPoE Always On
Password The password you use to log in to the Member Centre
VLAN Active
VLAN ID (802.1q) 101
VLAN ID (802.1p) 0

and

additional possible information taken from my connection settings in the member centre. (username also blanked for purpose of this is being typed correctly on my router)

I've tried this on auto DNS servers and manual with addresses above. 

My Hub one however lists DNS servers for the TCP/IP as

213.120.234.42 or 213.120.234.38 different to the above - I've (now) lost track of which I've tried and will go back and run all again.

it also offers a default gateway address. 

Will keep experimenting if all are happy there is no reason for it not to work. It's looking more and more like I've changed 2 variables on my iterative process at some point.

Thanks for sanity checks to date.

markuswelby
Rising Star

You may of already sen this:

https://uno.help/knowledge-base/article/zyxel-vmg8924-fttc-nat

Have you ticked the enable nat box?

I remember I had to do that on my ZyXel

Ubuntu-MATE 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) 64-bit
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Fix

@gadlx just checking that you have a typo in there because you have plusdl.net and it should be plusdsl.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @gadlx This may have just been a typo but the username should be username@plusdsl.net I think it’s worth me double checking that with you. 

Failing that I’d post up some screenshots showing the settings on the router pages, making sure to obscure any information like your username. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
markuswelby
Rising Star

P.S.

I've just dug my Zyxel out and I have the Apply as default gateway box ticked also.

Also IGMP Proxy is ticked. I seem to recall that was ticked already by default

gadlx

And we've found the problem - The idiot entering the data! - now posting this via the other supposedly incompatible so consider that a success.

Apologies was ready to accept it being a far more complex solution than my misreading the "sds" in quick succession. My only excuse is self moving so knackered after shifting boxes all week.

Speeds immediately in the high 60s/low 70s.

My humblest apologies, and thanks for your grace in pointing it out as well as swift support from the community.

markuswelby
Rising Star

Excellent! No worries. Glad you got it working @gadlx 🙂