Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UniFi Security Gateway

maxm4xww
Grafter

UniFi Security Gateway

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to a UniFi Security Gateway but don't feel it is set up to its best potential. I had a few issues getting it working (with a Netgear DM200) which was originally working as a router alongside a Netgear switch. After messing about I got it online and my setup now consists of the following:

Netgear DM200

Unify USG

Cloud Key

Unifi Nano HD AP

I read online about MTU settings and others and wonder if I have everything set up correctly as I *think* some websites and App's on phones (Amazon, National Rail etc) are not working properly but they are fine on 4G.

Does anyone on here have the same hardware? A few pointers would be very useful as I am new to Unify if not to home networking.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: UniFi Security Gateway

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Alucidnation
Rising Star

This guy is the goto man for Ubiquiti stuff..

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=crosstalk+solutions

You might have to trawl through but im sure the answer will be in one of those, or a combination of.

Also, your modem should be set with an MTU of 1492 if on fibre.

maxm4xww
Grafter

Thanks, part of the problem is I don't know how to set the MTU!

Alucidnation
Rising Star

Not sure where it is TBH, as the menus in the Ubiquiti stuff have got over complicated.

One reason i don't use their stuff much anymore.

Good luck.

maxm4xww
Grafter

I found it, but it doesn't seem to have done the trick.

There is an initial delay when loading most websites and upload seems slow to respond on speed tests. Download os fine and overall speeds are fine.

The saga continues..
pjhoughton76

Are you still experiencing problems i set my DM200, Unifi USG up last weekend fine

It doesnt need the MTU changing it needs 

configure dm200 go through the wizard let choose plusnet let it detect it needs vlan 101 - the logon will fail ( thats fine)

go to advanced settings enable modem only pass through vlan

then configure it all on unifi usg - easy (include vlan 101 

steveocee
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

The USG (I guess you have the USG3 not the Pro4) is starting to show it's age now. You can't have all the IPS/DPI and Smart QoS enabled and still push more than 60Mb through it. Try turning off the IDS, DPI and Smart QoS. If you can enable H/W offload and see how it feels. you should be able to run DPI and IPS up to 80Mb but then Smart QoS will push it too hard and likely slow you down.

Try setting MTU at 1480, then if you can creep it up to 1488. I run a similar setup, modem & router and imagine they are connected similarly and my MTU auto sets at 1488.

www.steveocee.co.uk
maxm4xww
Grafter

I got it working in the end, not really sure how but everythingac seems fine now.