Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubiquiti users?

PLIW
Hooked

Ubiquiti users?

Anyone here using Ubiquiti kit?

I have the old BT Open Reach modem, Huawei HG612 that is then connected to my USG3P. This then feeds the 1st of 4 switches and various AP’s.

Proper run down

Huawei HG612
USG 3GP
US-8-150W (front room) (CAT6a run from USG)
AP AC Lite in hall way (CAT 6a from switch)
US-8-150W (garage/man cave1) (see note below)
AP AC Lite in garage/man cave (CAT6a from switch)
US-8-150W (office) (see note below)
US-16-150W (loft/man cave2) (see notes below)
AP AC Lite on landing (CAT6a from switch)
AP AC Mesh on back of house for garden (CAT6a from switch)

Each switch is linked via multi mode OC3 fibre patch cable. The thing green stuff. When the house was being built I ran conduit from each point to the loft. So my runs for example go front room point 1 all the way to the loft and then back down. It’s long but it’s neat and works.

I get full cover around the house, garden and man cave. I only 5GHz WiFi. All AP’s run in medium power and VHT40. I’ve got no other radios interfering on the spectrum.

My controller currently is cloud hosted. I did have the CK1 but it died. I then stole my Pi for a project.

Just ordered a Pi4 4GB to our Pi Hole back on the network.

The big switch is in the loft as I have CCTV so all the cables are ran up between the voids in the wall to that. I have 7 cameras. Again Unfi kit.
4 REPLIES 4
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Ubiquiti users?

I use Ubiquiti kit, although I have a Draytek that I use for load balancing ADSL and 4G. I have AC-LRs to cover my house, garden office, and 2 acres of gardens and outbuildings, with switches where needed and Gen2 controller. I've found it all very solid and reliable, and easy to manage.

I have managed to log in to my WiFi from half a mile away (it wasn't fast...), but we have no neighbours so no interference.

PLIW
Hooked

I’ve a set of Nano station M5’s I’m about to install so my flat down the road can piggy back.
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

The M5s are good - I used a couple for a year to connect my garden office until I got around to laying ethernet.

I toyed with the idea of using them to connect to somewhere with decent broadband, but there isn't anywhere around here 😞  That's why I use 4G now.

PLIW
Hooked

I got a 4G link I use when out flying. It’s in a Mikrotik SXT LTE. I get a good solid 130mb down and 75mb up. Use it to live stream.