cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubiquiti and TP-LINK setup

sean5

Ubiquiti and TP-LINK setup

I have a few questions, hopefully I don't sound like a complete moron.

Why do PlusNet and BT provide a custom router?

Is there custom firmware that is required to connect?

What are the pros and cons of this?

In the past I had a BT account and now PN. The router always seems to work fine... for a while and then randomly disconnects.

Most recently I had an issue with multiple connections and figured out that splitting laptops to 5ghz and phones to the standard helped.

My current issue is that the router doesn't have a very good range. I've noted on here that a BT Extender is suggested but I would prefer better quality and if possible to remove the custom firmware.

Some friends have suggested I use a Ubiquiti and TP-LINK setup:

- Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Pro 2.4GHz/5GHz AC1750 UAP-AC-Pro (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015PRO512/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_jKUwDbY6RAC98)

- TP-LINK TL-WPA4230P AV500 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VQ8P564/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_BLUwDbWK6MTGK)

I'm not sure what the limitations are with this (I have "Unlimited Fibre Extra")

Would this replace the PN router entirely?

2 REPLIES 2
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Ubiquiti and TP-LINK setup

@sean5 

Can't help with your specific questions but PlusNet have always been happy for customers to use their own equipment and the settings required are listed in a Help page.

The PlusNet router is a re-badged BT HH5 which does not have a good reputation for WiFi. I suspect ISP's supply routers for ease of setup for non technical users and that their support staff can be trained up on the specific model supplied. They'll not support third party routers for the simple reason they haven't been trained up on them.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Ubiquiti and TP-LINK setup

@sean5  Welcome to the forum.

Plusnet and BT provide a free router to get customers started. Why? I suspect because other ISPs do so it's expected these days. What do you mean by custom firmware, do you mean the Hub One? If so what are your reasons?

Any third party or BT combined VDSL modem/router can be used. Many of us use a BT Smarthub 6 so if that worked for you with BT and you still have it you might like to try this. You will find setting instructions pinned at the start of this board. The combination suggested by your friends will not replace your Hub One. It can be probably be used to improve your WiFi if connected to your Hub One.

Why not start again by explaining in a bit more detail your problem such as the location of your wireless dead spots and any other problems that you have? This will probably result in you getting further advice on your options.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'