cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Connected Hard Drive - Transfer Speeds

lukemcinnes
Grafter

Re: USB Connected Hard Drive - Transfer Speeds

Actually I requested a firmware update to see if this would fix the transfer speed. So if it has been updated then it has not had an impact on the transfer rates.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Okay, that kinda creates another issue then..... If this was so common, right back from that build version, I'd of expected many reports on the same issue you're having. I don't recall reading similar reports - not to say there aren't any.

Unless your PNH1 is somehow faulty or something is reporting incorrect transfer speeds, there's not much I can add.

I could put my some of my 2TB backup drives on my PNH1 too, but there's no way these are going anywhere near that!! Wink

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Is this issue definitely specific to the USB drives?

i.e. do you see the same slow transfer if you try transferring a file from one machine's internal drive to another's?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not at all @lukemcinnes  - If the router is v1.1 then the only time this has an effect is when you connect a device to it, and will then negotiate the lowest protocol supported by both interfaces in order to work.

So if the router is v1.1 and you connect a v3 device to it then the protocol used will (must) be v1.1 and with that you will get the RX/TX rates supported by that protocol.

If you have a USB3 device connected to your laptop and it is accessible via the LAN then in theory you should expect to copy that file (1.5GB) in about 2 mins over a 100Mbit/s LAN or 20+ mins on a 10Mbit/s LAN.

When doing transfers the slowest interface anywhere in the path from A to B is what you are constrained by, be it, the LAN itself or the USB.

lukemcinnes
Grafter

Are we convinced that there is an issue though? I don't see anywhere on the forums that suggests a higher transfer speed via network is possible? I see similar queries, but no affirmative answers.

This guy thinks 3MB/s is decent for network transfer.

lukemcinnes
Grafter

Okay - maybe there is an issue then. I'll try anther router if I can get my hands on one.

lukemcinnes
Grafter

bobpullen - normal transfer rates between internal drives.

Certainly seems USB only related.

lukemcinnes
Grafter

Maybe this is a driver issue ?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@lukemcinnes wrote:

bobpullen - normal transfer rates between internal drives.

Certainly seems USB only related.

Colour me confused in which case.

I can try replicating the issue but it might be a while before I'm able to get round to it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

lukemcinnes
Grafter

Do you have a Hub One? If so, have you tried connecting to the USB port and transferring any files? I still haven't seen anyone say they have got suitable speeds doing so.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wrong thread!

lukemcinnes
Grafter

Who me? I was asking whether anyone on here could try a transfer if they had the same router so I could at least have a transfer speed to aim for!

This is too stressful - maybe I'll just go and buy a NAS drive!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lukemcinnes - Drivers can have an influence on things but if you’re running Windows / Mac in theory you should have the latest and greatest versions available.

Think of this as a 10 lane motor way, with each lane nose to tail with cars, but due to roadworks the 10 lanes are reduced to 2, so all of the remaining 8 lanes have to filter through the two lanes. Even if the roadworks only last for a matter of yards the fact that they are there will cause congestion regardless of the 'speed limit'.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@lukemcinnes wrote:

Do you have a Hub One? 

Yes, I have plenty of them at the office. I'm not using one on my home network though, and that's where I am at the moment.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Plusnet Hub One although I don't use it for its intended purpose. But I will gladly connect it up tomorrow for you @lukemcinnes and do some testing I have all the toys I need here to do this.

As for the "Wrong Post" entry above I got confused.