cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning router off for an extended period.

FIXED
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Turning router off for an extended period.

I am well aware of the hazards of power cycling a router too often and the effects on the DLM. When going away for a long break I have always left my router switched on (it's very stable and never normally drops sync), but after the lightning storms of a couple of weeks ago, when my router almost got fried and refused to reconnect for a while, I am thinking that leaving it on when away might be unwise.

Are there any untoward effects to be expected by turning it off for a week or ten days? Does the DLM just sense a no-data or no-sync condition and ignore it, or is it constantly looking for something on my end and making assumptions about a potentially faulty line?

5 REPLIES
Fixes: 260

Re: Turning router off for an extended period.

Fix
as long as you disconnect gracefully from the routers interface before turning the power off it should be fine.

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 463

I agree with @dvorak

In addition, I don't think DLM will intervene over a connection drop now and again. It generally only intervenes if there's frequent drops.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

My router has often been off for a week or two, with no ill effects.

Back in the vanilla ADSL days, I'd been stuck on a 9dB target margin for months after a line fault. Came back after two weeks away and it was back to the normal 6dB.  Smiley

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Gel
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 14

Fixes: 229

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still