Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to setup Linksys WRT32X with Netgear DM200

kerrypuricelli
Grafter

Trying to setup Linksys WRT32X with Netgear DM200

Hello all,

I'm trying to setup a custom router with the DM200. I've put the modem into "modem only" mode and connected it to the router. I've setup PPPoE with my username/password but the router is not getting any internet connection.

Does anyone with the same or similar setup have any troubleshooting or recommendations for me to fix this issue?

15 REPLIES 15
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Trying to setup Linksys WRT32X with Netgear DM200

Although I've never used a DM200 myself , I believe it's tricky to get the VLAN ID set correct when in modem mode.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Netgear-DM-200-Setup-help/td-p/1552903

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kerrypuricelli
Grafter

I'm not using fibre I'd that makes a difference. I know from the information the Plus Net website that it talks about setting the VLANID I'd your using fibre.

So do you think the problem is accessing the modem once it's in modem-only mode?

You say it's tricky but have people actually done it?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry, I assumed you were on Fibre. Ignore VLAN on ADSL it's not required.

Not sure I've seen a DM200 used for ADSL. I'll go look at the manual...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kerrypuricelli
Grafter

It does support ADSL. I'm checking now and I should be able to access the settings page by setting the computers network settings manually.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'd try the same approach as with the VLAN ID issue.

Setup the DM200 on it's own in router mode first using your Plusnet credentials and check it works.

Then switch to modem mode https://kb.netgear.com/30773/How-to-set-DM200-into-bridge-modem-only-mode

and connect to your router which now has your PlusNet credentials set in it's PPPoE settings.

kerrypuricelli
Grafter

I've managed to access it as modem-only and it says it's got an internet connection. I can't change anything since it's all greyed out. I assume this means I need to connect it to the router and setup from the routers page?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If you mean it has a dsl connection, then yes, connect it to the router WAN port, configure the router WAN type as PPPoE with your PlusNet username (with @plusdsl.net after it) and password.

kerrypuricelli
Grafter

Even though the modem shows as connected when I enter the details and everything it still isn't able to get an internet connection. This is the WRT32X I'm talking about.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Finding a comprehensive manual for the wrt32X is difficult!.

This https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=274495 seems the appropriate steps for a PPPoE setup (oviously replacing the username/password with your plusnet ones)  Make sure you don't set any VLAN ID though.

kerrypuricelli
Grafter

I've done so and it still doesn't have an internet connection. I'm not sure what else to do since I know the modem works as I did check.

kerrypuricelli
Grafter

Ok just for some clarity I reset my router so it went into the setup wizard and it isn't actually detecting a DSL connection. This leads me to believe that the modem isn't actually doing its job. Any insight?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas too. Have a read through this https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/Problems-using-DM200-in-modem-only-mode/td-p/113... it would appear you're not alone in using the DM200 in modem mode on ADSL. Seems it works on FTTC but doesn't provide a proper 'bridge' in ADSL mode. Athough there's one refrence in there about it working on an earlier firmware...

kerrypuricelli
Grafter

I'm trying the modem alone in "modem + router" mode. I've set all the settings (vc-based, 0, 38) and it doesn't connect. When in modem only mode the modem gets its settings from the router so that's why you can't change stuff while it's in that mode but even when I set it to modem + router it still doesn't work.
kerrypuricelli
Grafter

I set everything up in "modem + router" mode and I was still unable to connect. This has left me confused now. I'm sure I'm entering the details correctly, I'm double checking and everything and people have talked about using the DM200 with Plus Net so I'm very confused.