cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to configure a TG582n without success!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to configure a TG582n without success!

Idle curiosity I just thought I’d warm up the wet ware to see what this unit could and couldn’t do and it’s no big deal to be honest. As far as the ident is concerned I don’t have the red highlight under the LAN port, so from that and this I am assuming it to be an ADSL unit so for me flashing it is pointless assuming it didn't brick it.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Your not missing anything trying it tbh, pretty standard rubbish!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah @30FTTC06 isn't it said that one man's rubbish is another man's treasure! Wink

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

lol.... I'm happy for you to have my old one if you so wish to have my old Rubbish.

I'll even pay the postage!

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@Anonymous wrote:

I am assuming it to be an ADSL unit so for me flashing it is pointless assuming it didn't brick it.

In which case, getting a Fibre 582n would be equally pointless. The hardware is essentially the same. The ADSL version can run the FTTC firmware fine. The 10.2 FTTC firmware can also be re-configured for ADSL use.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Anonymous wrote:

OK, I’ve had a look at the instructions and the device I have is without doubt the ADSL model so I won’t even attempt the upgrade. I’ll look elsewhere to see if I can acquire a Fibre version.

Despite warnings in the firmware upgrade guide, you should be able to flash the FTTC firmware onto an ADSL unit, without encountering any difficulties. As others have mentioned though, all this does is allow you to configure a PPPoE connection over the fourth LAN port. This would then need connecting to a separate (Openreach?) VDSL modem which in turn would connect to your phone line.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that @bobpullen, from this and other replies does this mean I couldn't use my existing Vigor 120 / 130 Modem and the only supported modem is an Openreach model?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

The 130 should be fine. I believe the 120 is solely an ADSL modem though, so doubt it would work with fibre.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @bobpullen. Of course you're right about the 120 it is ADSL only. So I'll try a 130 at the weekend.