cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to configure a TG582n without success!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to configure a TG582n without success!

I am trying to configure a TG582n but it doesn’t appear to be connecting to the Internet. I’ve set the password to me@plusdsl.net and the password which is 16 characters some of which are symbols.

When I use the Connect button on the Broadband Connection page it bleats that my password contains illegal characters. However, if I select the Technicolor Gateway page and select ‘Setup my Technicolor Gateway’ from there I can enter the password without compliant but it still fails to connect.

I have already done a factory reset on it and I was wondering if I was missing a trick here. There is one other thing and that is at the top of the web page I see this:

Your DSL connection is down. Verify that your Technicolor Gateway is correctly connected to your phone line. If the problem persists, check your documentation.

Having never used this device before I don’t know if it’s telling me something else or if it related to the fact that I don’t have a working Internet connection on the device.

23 REPLIES 23
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Trying to configure a TG582n without success!

From memory there is an ADSL and VDSL version, which one are you trying ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I assume it is the VDSL version as it was sent to me by PN when I got my second fibre line installed, but up until today I've never had it connected to the phone line. Is there a way to check what it supports A/V DSL?

30FTTC06
Pro

I assume your trying it with an VDSL modem then over pppoe from the WAN port ?

Can't recall the versions now, I'm sure there are plenty of posts with FTTC and ADSL firmware versions @bobpullen

knows where the ftp link is to be found.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Anonymous
Not applicable

@30FTTC06 - No, I have it connected directly to the BT Socket as I assumed that it was a VDSL modem / router

However, from the link @Oldjim provided it would appear that it’s an ADSL unit as it has no USB port! Why on earth they sent me one of these for a Fibre connection I don’t know as I don’t recall asking for one when I was an ADSL customer, but maybe someone (hint @bobpullen) could check my history to confirm or deny this.

30FTTC06
Pro

neither version did VDSL as in the modem sense, it was always pppoe from the wan port.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

No version of this router has a VDSL2 modem, you probably have the VDSL2 firmware version which still needs a separate VDSL2 modem. The TG582N is just functioning as a router. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's fair enough guys thanks for that, but it still leaves me with the fact that it appears to be an ADSL unit anyway so as much use to me as a hand brake on a canoe.

30FTTC06
Pro

I had a lot of fun with the TG582N with the access via telnet, awesome headache at times with dns queries!

I still have mine as well as a spare BT VDSL modem and a HubOne (VDSL/ADSL/Router) I also have a Hub Zero (No VDSL Modem Either) but I flashed it with Openwrt I think which was pretty useless.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The physical differences between the ADSL and FTTC versions of the router are that the latter has a USB slot on the left hand side and a (trivial) red stripe under Ethernet port 4 (nearest to the power cable). Logically the units have different firmware as listed on the page in Oldjim's post. My TG582n FTTC has Firmware 10.2.5.2.FO (the latest version) on it. My understanding is that it doesn't matter whether the USB slot is there or not.

The firmware update tool and instructions for using it are on the firmware page (I think this needs a Windows computer). Do a factory reset after updating firmware.

To connect it up you need an Openreach VDSL modem to connect to the phone line, and an Ethernet cable connecting Line 1 on the modem to port 4 on the TG582n. Its phone line connection isn't used.

Another Ethernet cable connects one of the other ports to the Ethernet port on your computer.

David
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a good day when you learn something new. I'll have a look at the tool and see about flashing the device, but I don't think I'll be getting the information I want from it this way, but I won't know until I try.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I’ve had a look at the instructions and the device I have is without doubt the ADSL model so I won’t even attempt the upgrade. I’ll look elsewhere to see if I can acquire a Fibre version.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The TG582n only provides a PPP0E (router) connection to Plusnet, basically just getting an IP address and a gateway. All the connection stats are hidden away in the Openreach modem. Mine is an ECI unit matching my ECI cabinet,

David
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I'm a bit puzzled by your attempts to get this router working, what information are you hoping to get from it? As Spraxyt says there will be no connection stats shown in the router. Why do you think yours is the ADSL version because the hardware for each is the same (apart from the USB socket which was fitted to earlier versions of the device) but is irrelevant as far as the routing function is concerned. Early adopters of FTTC were sent ADSL versions which had been flashed with the FTTC firmware by Plusnet. Do you know what firmware version your device has installed, this should be shown on one of the stats pages, sorry I don't know the details, I've never had one of these units. You could flash the FTTC firmware if necessary, it just changes Ethernet port 4 to a WAN port to connect to a modem. I think you will struggle to get a fibre version now, these were dished out 4 or 5 years ago.