cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput issues 5ghz

How99
Dabbler

Re: Throughput issues 5ghz

Many thanks @bobpullen. Router is now on .285.

Will keep an eye on the throughput issue and 5GHz Wi-Fi connectivity issue and let you know how it goes.

Cheers
CymonP
Grafter

@bobpullen Hello Bob, an update for you after 12 days on build ...285.

Overall, this is the best reliability I've had since the problems started.  However, in the last few days I've noticed occasional drastic slow downs on 5GHz, but they seem to self correct (?).  Symptom: My main PC (mac mini on 5GHz) goes from apparently normal web browsing / streaming to suddenly being very slow to load anything if it works at all.  Quick speed check shows either low single figure / fractional Mbps or fails to connect to speed test service.  Switch to 2.4GHz and everything's fine.  Switch back to 5GHz, no good, back to 2.4 (fine) then back to 5GHz and it seems okay again.  Basically I'm saying I don't think the internet connection itself is responsible for the glitches and the 5GHz returns to normal after a couple of reconnection attempts.

Once, while this was happening, I tried switching my iPhone to 5GHz and it wouldn't initially connect (error message to that effect), but did after 2 or 3 tries and then performed normally.  I don't know if this makes any sense to you -- I put it down to a random occurrence the first time it happened, the second time I was just closing down so just left it and it was fine the next day, third time (I think) was yesterday when I investigated as above.

Hope this is of some use, thanks for your efforts to resolve these issues.

How99
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen

My 5g has been dropping out again too, on my iPhone and MacBook.

Cheers
CymonP
Grafter

@bobpullen Just an update: Following a power interruption yesterday, I've noticed the 5GHz speed is back up to what it obviously should be, in my case around 37Mbps.  It had been running somewhat slower than the 2.4GHz at around 30 (?), which I'd come to expect but obviously it wasn't 'right'.  So I don't think the firmware update has fully cured the problem, unfortunately!  It does seem to take nearly 2 weeks for the slow down issue to start appearing, maybe that depends on throughput (or connects/disconnects, or ?) so others may be affected on different timescales.

Regards, etc...

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

@bobpullen 

Bob

FYI - Since you updated me to .273 last month the Wifi has been working okay.

However I did see one strange occurance. My normal speed from speedtest.net is around 55Mbps / 10 Mbps down/up.

Last week I was setting up a new laptop and it was very slow on the network.

I compared it with my existing Laptop side by side. My existing Laptop was only about 22Mbps / 4 Mbps and the new one only about 2 Mbps / 0.4 Mbps! I had already updated the new Laptop with Windows Updates and was wondering if it needed updated drivers, etc.

But next day (without any further updates) the new Laptop was working at a sensible speed and I again compared it with another Laptop (this time the same make) and they were both at around 45 Mbps / 9 Mbps!

I thought I would just let you know in case this is helpful as you move .273 towards a general release.

Regards

Henry Kafeman

paul_edwin
Grafter

I'm on the .273 firmware, having experienced the 'other' 5GHz Wi-Fi issue and also seem to be experiencing this throughput issue. Within arm's length of my router, both my MacBook Pro and Google Pixel 2 XL seem to get transfer speeds of ~20mbps when connected to the 5GHz Wi-Fi.

The router hasn't been rebooted since 2nd June. I was going to reboot to see if that restores the expected throughput speed, but is there any useful information to be obtained from it before I do that?

Do you need another candidate to test the potential fix?

CymonP
Grafter

@bobpullen (build ...285) 5GHz has died again this afternoon, very slow download speed. 2.4 fine, repeatable on switching back and forth.  I've now disabled the 5GHz again, at least for the time being.

paul_edwin
Grafter

I hadn't planned to reboot the router, but thanks to a dodgy iron tripping the main circuit breaker, it's happened anyway …

Now getting a reported 73Mbps on the 5GHz Wi-Fi, and that's from another room with two walls between me and the router.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@CymonP thanks for the feedback.

Overall, this is the best reliability I've had since the problems started.  However, in the last few days I've noticed occasional drastic slow downs on 5GHz, but they seem to self correct (?).  Symptom: My main PC (mac mini on 5GHz) goes from apparently normal web browsing / streaming to suddenly being very slow to load anything if it works at all.  Quick speed check shows either low single figure / fractional Mbps or fails to connect to speed test service.  Switch to 2.4GHz and everything's fine.  Switch back to 5GHz, no good, back to 2.4 (fine) then back to 5GHz and it seems okay again.  Basically I'm saying I don't think the internet connection itself is responsible for the glitches and the 5GHz returns to normal after a couple of reconnection attempts.

Dropping to single figures sounds to me like there's something else at play. It's definitely not a sole characteristic of the known 5GHz throughput issue. I'd expect a figure closer to ~22mbps if it was.

Once, while this was happening, I tried switching my iPhone to 5GHz and it wouldn't initially connect (error message to that effect), but did after 2 or 3 tries and then performed normally.  

I did mention the Wi-Fi connectivity issue may raise its head again. This could be a symptom of that. Happy to move you back to .273 if you prefer, however it will initiate a factory reset in the process.

It had been running somewhat slower than the 2.4GHz at around 30 (?), which I'd come to expect but obviously it wasn't 'right'.  So I don't think the firmware update has fully cured the problem, unfortunately! 

Again, would expect a value lower than 30mbps. Appreciate the feedback though. To chuck my 2p into the mix - I was routinely affected by the throughput issue when using a Hub One on my own network, and I haven't seen a single recurrence after weeks of running a build containing the proposed fix. I can readily pull 100mbps+ through Wi-Fi connection.

@paul_edwin wrote:

I'm on the .273 firmware, having experienced the 'other' 5GHz Wi-Fi issue and also seem to be experiencing this throughput issue. Within arm's length of my router, both my MacBook Pro and Google Pixel 2 XL seem to get transfer speeds of ~20mbps when connected to the 5GHz Wi-Fi.

The router hasn't been rebooted since 2nd June. I was going to reboot to see if that restores the expected throughput speed, but is there any useful information to be obtained from it before I do that?

Do you need another candidate to test the potential fix?

Problem here Paul, is the fact that the current test builds that contain the fix, also revert the workaround for the 'other' Wi-Fi issue. I don't currently have anything to offer that addresses both issues.

As you've found, rebooting will return you to expected speeds. The problem is likely to raise its head again though.

@How99 wrote:
My 5g has been dropping out again too, on my iPhone and MacBook.

Sorry to hear. Let me know if you want to be moved back to the .273 build. As mentioned above, it will incur a factory reset.

For info, I'll not be around for a week or so from today. I'll check in on my return though. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

CymonP
Grafter

@bobpullen Thanks Bob, hope you had a good break. Happy to stay on build ..285, it seems fine most of the time as I'm mainly (reluctantly of course) just running on 2.4GHz which seems stable.  Maybe I suffer from some kind of rare local interference on 5GHz, but that does seem unlikely at that frequency!  I guess a weaker signal (although full strength is usually indicated) on 5GHz could explain reduced data rate, but why that should rectify after a router reboot I don't know.  Too many variables in a domestic situation.

Sarmstr7
Dabbler

My router is still on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 and every few days the devices on the 5GHz channel drop to less than half the regular speed (15-23Mbps instead of 70-73) until I reboot the router and all is back to normal. @bobpullen is this the same issue as on the 273 version people are saying about?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Sarmstr7 it's the issue being described in this thread yes. Happy to try you on a pre-release firmware that contains the fix if you're interested?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Sarmstr7
Dabbler

@bobpullen Yes please, that would be ideal thanks! I have not had any other issues with the software so it'll be interesting to test the fix

Spraggs97

@bobpullen

Please can i have the update.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Spraggs97 & @Sarmstr7 - I've just pushed an update to both of your routers. You'll need to reboot to apply it.

Let me know how it goes...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team