cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput issues 5ghz

Hannahsadler

Re: Throughput issues 5ghz

Hi @bobpullen, how do I go about receiving the firmware update that resolves this issue? I’m currently on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. What sort of bandwidth should I be expecting over 5Ghz? I’m getting about 70mb/s maximum (tested with 2.4 disabled using iperf with multiple devices).
philmo1
Hooked

Whilst in this subject:

I have been getting a fairly week signal strength in some parts of my house with my hub one router.

I can normally get around 45 to 50mbps - when fairly close to the router, which is fine.

So following feedback from various threads I have split the signals to both 2.4 and 5ghz.

Now even next to the router I get the same 45 to 50mbps on 2.4ghz but struggle to get over 20mbps for 5ghz.

Not a missive issue as the 2.5ghz speed is ok, but I would like to get the 5ghz up.

Have tried playing with various channels with no real difference.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
philmo1
Hooked

Lazy of me not to read the whole thread. I can see my next step is to also get updated firmware. Currently using 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

Maybe @bobpullen you can send me a firmware update or offer advice on how to update it. Tks

philmo1
Hooked

Bump - can anyone help ? Tks
Paul_A
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen 

Back in December you kindly put me on .273 to solve the other 5ghz issue. I’m now starting to get limited throughput on 5ghz. Is it possible to try the firmware that fixes both please?

Let me know if you need more details/feedback.

Appreciate any help.

Paul.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@philmo1 and @Paul_A - I've pushed an update to both of your devices that should resolve the 5GHz throughout issue. You'll need to power your router off/back on to apply the update.

@Hannahsadler wrote:
Hi @bobpullen, how do I go about receiving the firmware update that resolves this issue? I’m currently on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. What sort of bandwidth should I be expecting over 5Ghz? I’m getting about 70mb/s maximum (tested with 2.4 disabled using iperf with multiple devices).

This particular problem would see throughput deteriorate to the ~20-25mbps mark so I'm not convinced what you're seeing is a product of the same thing.

I've seen speeds well in excess of 100mbps, and closer to 200mbps using a Hub One, however with 5GHz it's very dependent on distance from Hub. 5GHz radio waves don't travel very far.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Paul_A
Hooked

Thanks again @bobpullen
drtodd
Dabbler

@bobpullen in June last year you updated my router firmware to 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 (from the .263 version) to sort the "other" Hub One issue around 5Ghz - for the most part this version has been much, much better - allowing devices to connect/browse but have noticed times when the speed will drop to ~20/25Mbps , and more rarely situations when it looks like UDP DNS responses are timing out leading to poor experience. 

Would you recommend a move to the later firmware, the .289 I believe, to resolve further issue(s) here? 

Thanks for your help. 

Darren

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@drtodd - yes .289 will fix that issue. I've pushed the update your way. You'll need to restart your router to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

drtodd
Dabbler

Thanks @bobpullen , I restarted this evening but still appear to be running .273 - would you mind checking again? Are there release notes for the firmware available; to check the fixes in each version?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@drtodd my attempts to communicate with your router are failing. Fancy rebooting at your side and I'll give it another go?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

drtodd
Dabbler

Thank-you @bobpullen rebooted this morning for you.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@drtodd thanks, that's taken now so try another reboot.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

drtodd
Dabbler

Thank-you @bobpullen now running .289; will check on the i) 5GHz speeds & ii) DNS slowness in coming days/weeks & report back with any issues. 

paul_edwin
Grafter

Hi @bobpullen 

You pushed the .273 firmware to my router, back in June last year, which seemed to reduce the frequency of problems with the 5GHz throughput dropping off, but hasn't eliminated it completely.

It sounds like the .289 firmware should be a further improvement. Any chance you could push that to my router, please?

Cheers,

Paul