cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput issues 5ghz

supernoodles
Grafter

Re: Throughput issues 5ghz

nvm my previous post the issue seems to have stopped not sure maybe my phone was being weird

Sparks9061

Hi @bobpullen 

I've been a fibre customer for a while but only started using the hub one router in June (when my Netgear died).  I too am seeing the throughput decrease over time on the 5G band.  What really highlighted it to me yesterday is that I put a powerline network extender configured with the same Wifi settings as the router but different channels.  Using my phone connected to the extender on 5G I was getting downloads >70Mbps.  Using the same phone connected to the router's 5G network, I was getting around 24Mbps and the 2.4G band was faster.  A reboot of the router has temporarily brought the speed back up.

I'd like to volunteer for the firmware update to test please.  Currently on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Sparks9061 - I've just pushed an update to your router that should hopefully resolve the issue.

You'll need to reboot at your side to apply it.

Let me know how it goes...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Sparks9061

Hi @bobpullen 

Many thanks for that.  I've rebooted the router and can confirm that the firmware is now 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.

An ethernet speed test downloaded at 67Mbps (sync at 71Mbps) and using my phone via the 5G connection, the speed was exactly the same so that's a good start.  Give it some time and hopefully the speed on 5G will remain the same.  My line is generally very stable (only connection drop I've had since June was because of a power cut) so barring possible power cuts, I'll see what the speed's like in the New Year.

Thanks again 😀

CymonP
Grafter

Hello again @bobpullen .  I'm on build ...287.  Have to report that yesterday evening it all 'fell over' starting on the 5GHz band -- this was while using my iPad.  It reconnected to 2.4GHz, but still had 'problems' with music streaming.  I tried an internet speed test but the connection was so bad that wouldn't even start!

Tried reconnecting to 5GHz manually but iPad was 'unable to connect'.  Soft rebooted the router, which might have helped briefly but didn't work for mor ethan a few minutes if it did.  Meanwhile my wife was using a Chromebook (on 2.4GHz) with apparently no noticeable issue (other than maybe freezing occasionally? Not sure about that, but definitely a reasonable connection). 

Router had only been 'up' for 4 and a bit days.

Got rather frustrated at this point and decided it was time to go away, so physically turned the router off (after getting agreement from my wife!) and left it off all night.  All fine again on rebooting this morning (as expected).

This is all getting a bit stupid now, don't you think?  The fact that this router worked fine for a few months before the problems started surely implies that the firmware it was shipped with was okay and some kind of hardware problem has developed.  Either that or something in the external (WAN) environment has changed and it can't cope.  You may be trying to mitigate whatever the issue is with firmware but that doesn't seem to be working.  My son, also with Plusnet, has one of these routers and hasn't as yet had any issues -- why?  It's presumably on the original firmware release since he had it around the same time we did. 

Sorry this has been a bit long or if it should have gone in the other related thread.

Simon

_____

CymonP
Grafter

Well, @bobpullen, I'm still having recurring problems particularly on 5GHz -- seemingly mainly on Apple devices --  so I'm giving up and spending money (which I shouldn't have to spend) on a Mesh system to replace the router's wifi function. 

I have to say that this whole experience has soured my 'faith' in Plusnet, which ha sbeen built up over many years as a very longstanding customer (through 2 take-overs and name changes if I remember correctly).

Regards, etc...

washboardmac
Grafter

Hi

I'm on .263 but I'm having the very same issues as others on this thread.  

I've only fairly recently rejoined Plusnet and am fairly disappointed with the Hub One.  But today in setting up a new HP Chromebook I discover that when connected to the 5GHz wi-fi (and the Hub One reporting a device->router connection of 780Mbs I only get just over 12Mbs via speedtest.net.  When connected at 107Mbps via 2.4GHz I get 60+Mbps reported.

Ironically the 2.4GHz speed is extremely good considering the amount of bandwidth competition in my area (the device can see about 15 2.4GHz wi-fi networks in my area.)

I've also tried using a speed test app called Meteor on a Moto android phone and it only reached 19Mbs down.

I'm on 80/20 and the Hub One reports 74/20.  In addition I'm in the same room as the Hub One, about 8' from it.

Your assistance appreciated.

Andy

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@CymonP wrote:

Hello again @bobpullen .  I'm on build ...287.  Have to report that yesterday evening it all 'fell over' starting on the 5GHz band -- this was while using my iPad.  It reconnected to 2.4GHz, but still had 'problems' with music streaming.  I tried an internet speed test but the connection was so bad that wouldn't even start!

So did *all* devices disconnect from the 5GHz radio?

Tried reconnecting to 5GHz manually but iPad was 'unable to connect'.  Soft rebooted the router, which might have helped briefly but didn't work for mor ethan a few minutes if it did.  Meanwhile my wife was using a Chromebook (on 2.4GHz) with apparently no noticeable issue (other than maybe freezing occasionally? Not sure about that, but definitely a reasonable connection). 

The fact that a reboot didn't resolve the issue strikes me as odd. Remind me - do you have other wireless access points on your network? e.g. extenders?

This is all getting a bit stupid now, don't you think?  The fact that this router worked fine for a few months before the problems started surely implies that the firmware it was shipped with was okay and some kind of hardware problem has developed.

No, that isn't a fair assumption. There are myriad factors/variables to consider and hardware failures are normally fairly telling in the signature they leave in the device logs. Happy to replace your router, or do some more digging into your logs if you're willing to hold off on the mesh solution? It will require you keeping a log of what date/times issues occur though and what the exact symptoms are.

Either that or something in the external (WAN) environment has changed and it can't cope.  You may be trying to mitigate whatever the issue is with firmware but that doesn't seem to be working.

In your case, perhaps not. There are hundreds of other examples where it has helped though. There's potentially an unidentified issue we're dealing with here.

My son, also with Plusnet, has one of these routers and hasn't as yet had any issues -- why?

Case in point - and the million dollar question! I could ask the same question as to why we've been unable to replicate any of these 5GHz Wi-Fi complaints in our labs. One fact remains though: plenty of customers experiencing connectivity issues on 5GHz have their kit replaced and it doesn't help. We push different firmware and the issue goes away entirely. That doesn't point to hardware.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@washboardmac - I've pushed an update to your router. You'll need to reboot at your side to apply it. Let me know how you get on.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

CymonP
Grafter

Okay @bobpullen, to answer your questions:-

1. I didn't check for 5GHz connectivity on any other device on this occasion. When this happened at other times other devices still had connectivity. The loss seemed only to affect the device I was using, usually (always?) when streaming content.

2. No other access points or extenders of any kind.

3. No, I don't think there's any point replacing the router thank-you. There are many comments from others who've had new routers that the problems recur sooner or later. The update certainly helped a lot, with the connectivity losses seemingly limited to one device at a time and at extended intervals (in the order of days but unpredictable).

I've already put in place a basic mesh -- the mesh gateway is currently in 'bridge' mode with the Plusnet modem/router still handling DHCP etc. So I've essentially only replaced the wifi side of things. If I still get failures after a few days I can enable the mesh router (and accept double NAT-ing). I've noticed that, while the tested throughput (mbps) is much the same, initially opening a web page or starting a stream is 'snappier'.

In my relative ignorance I've tried looking at the logs and do see a load of connect/disconnects when problems occur, but frankly I'm fed up with this issue now!

4, etc. I don't have the benefit of your in depth analysis of the problems. To me it does look like there is some kind of hardware and/or firmware issue and they're being played off each other with problems arising depending on the router environment (interference?) and the use to which it's put (number of simultaneous connections, amount of data, type of devices, etc.).  Fundamentally the router seems to be not robust enough if it's failing to meet real world requirements for so many.

But I humbly accept that (even with an extensive electronics background) there's an awful lot I don't know about internet and data communications technology. 

Once again, thanks for all your efforts Bob. If I notice anything that I think is relevant on my re-jigged system I'll let you know.

Regards,

Simon

washboardmac
Grafter

Hi Bob

I've been online all weekend with a few different devices and the firmware update seems to have done the trick speed-wise.  My most recent speed test on 5GHz gave 69/18 so that's not far from 100%.

Many thanks

Andy

Kes1
Dabbler

Hello @bobpullen 

You kindly pushed  .273 to our router 14 May 2020 to cure the 5 GHz wifi connection issue. ( at that time we were on the basic broadband )

We upgraded to fibre  (min. 30/8 Mb ) on 10 December and now have slow throughput on the wifi .The wired devices are OK though.

On wifi we are only getting from 12 to 22Mbps down load which is disappointing.

The hub management shows 39.95 down /9.99 up ,which is approx. what the wired devices get.

Is it possible to push an alternative firmware to increase the wifi speed , whilst keeping the 5 GHz channel working ?

Hub serial no. +081441+NQ92702100

Thanks .

Tags (1)
Kes1
Dabbler

Hello again @bobpullen 

The wifi speed has  improved since the Hub One [273 FW] rebooted itself  yesterday ,for unknown reason.

We can get 36Mbps  upstairs at the back of the  [small  3 bedroom ] house .Which is within the range we are supposed to get.{min. 30 /max 38 Mbps].

Will we have to keep rebooting it if it drops again ?  I hope not .

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Kes1 - I've pushed an incremental update. You'll need to reboot again at your side.

@CymonP - appreciate you coming back to me. I hope the mesh solution is trouble free and works well for you. I'll be keeping a keen eye out for any similar examples where the latest updates aren't helping resolve the connectivity issues.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Kes1
Dabbler

Thanks @bobpullen for the 289 FW. The speed has not dropped so far. Thanks for your help .