cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput issues 5ghz

Spraggs97

Re: Throughput issues 5ghz

@bobpullen

Hi Bob. No disconnections since it was updated. Thank you for the help.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@CymonP wrote:

@bobpullen Thanks Bob, hope you had a good break. Happy to stay on build ..285, it seems fine most of the time as I'm mainly (reluctantly of course) just running on 2.4GHz which seems stable.  Maybe I suffer from some kind of rare local interference on 5GHz, but that does seem unlikely at that frequency!  I guess a weaker signal (although full strength is usually indicated) on 5GHz could explain reduced data rate, but why that should rectify after a router reboot I don't know.  Too many variables in a domestic situation.

@CymonP, I now have access to a build that I am hoping resolved both the 5GHz connectivity issue *and* the deteriorating throughput. I've just pushed it to your router so feel free to reboot when it's next convenient to force the upgrade.

Let me know how it goes.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Sync speed is 

Data rate: 9999 / 54933
7. Maximum data rate: 26582 / 72584
8. Noise margin: 21.7 / 10.8
9. Line attenuation: 17.3 / 13.8
10. Signal attenuation:

17.4 / 13.9

@bobpullen How come this person got 54/10 as my parents line only get capped 40/10 but their line has maximum data rate of 59 - can my parents line get 55/10 instead of 40/10 for the same current product 40/10 without price change?

How99
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen if you’re looking for another volunteer to test the latest update out I’d be more than happy to throw my hands up. I’m only having to restart my router every couple of weeks to countenance the 5ghz issue on the .285 so it’s not the worst but if you now have a fix for both the 5ghz and throughput issue it’s certainly be a help.

Many thanks!
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

@bobpullen above post here my parents line: (can she get 56/10 instead of 40/10 for her data rate?) and also is her hub one are up to date firmware version?

20201009_182454 - Copy.jpg

CymonP
Grafter

@bobpullen @Thanks Bob, Router rebooted and build number has updated.  5GHz re-enabled and I’ll make sure a selection of devices are using it.  I’ll report back any issues, or hopefully in a couple of weeks that all is still well!

Regards,

Simon

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@goldenfibre some of our customers are still provisioned on 55/10 from back when we offered it as a product. We don't offer it anymore though. The firmware in your screen capture is the latest production version.
@CymonP - thanks.
@How99 - appreciate the offer, I'll sort it next week.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Wilecoyotep

Having same issue, started a week or so ago, getting progressively worse.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Standard disconnection, authentication issues etc
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Standard blue.
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Have disconnected 5ghz as per suggestions. Wifi is still inconsistent/slow.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Various devices all having similar problems from phones to playstations / tablets etc
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    Just happens every day and regularly - no specific patterns or times.
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    reboot fixes it for a while but usually ends up back in a couple of hours
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Any and all are impacted.
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    Nope. Only thing i can think of recently is an upgrade to sky Q.
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Standard connections - 1 dsl line into PC and hub to multiple wifi devices around the house. Was fine until about a week ago, now a nightmare in terms of dropouts and authentication. Since dropping 5ghz, have had lots of slow connection issues etc.

Would be very happy to have the update pushed to my router.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bobpullen wrote:

@How99 - appreciate the offer, I'll sort it next week.

Now sorted. You'll need to reboot to apply the update.

Let me know how it goes...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

How99
Dabbler

Thanks @bobpullen that was quick! I’ll keep you updated.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

@bobpullen Thanks for updated my parents router got latest version now hopefully it resolved their 5GHz wireless

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Wilecoyotep - I assume you meant to post in the other thread about 5GHz issues? I've just tried pushing an update to your device however it doesn't appear to be online.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

CymonP
Grafter

@bobpullen Hi Bob, just to let you know that the build (...287) that you pushed to my router a couple of weeks ago is still working well. Slightly unfortunately we've had a couple of power cuts in the last week so I can't yet say it's been running for a full 2 weeks trouble (and reboot) free, but it is looking good!

Many thanks.

CymonP
Grafter

@bobpullen Hello again Bob.  Ref. build ...287 which I've been on for a while now -- Does seem mainly stable.  The only device I still have an issue with is my Apple Mac mini which occasionally (and generally after fairly intensive use) seems to suddeny lose (5GHz) connectivity -- this may be triggered by lots of streaming, either video or just music.  When this happens, my iPhone is still fine (also on 5GHz).  Mac usually needs changing to 2.4GHz to restore a decent connection speed.  This happened just now and if I try to return to 5GHz the connection is still very slow (low single figures Mbps).  I know that on restarting (the Mac mini) tomorrow morning it'll revert to 5GHz and be fine for most of the day.

Maybe this is some peculiarity with the Mac mini, or more likely an interaction between it and the router.  I recently changed the lease time to 18 hours (from 24), thinking this might force a fresh lease on start-up in the morning which would last all day and avoid any refreshing issues there, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.  Don't have much understanding of these networking issues!  Sorry for rambling on, thanks for your efforts.

supernoodles
Grafter

Hey Bob i got the update .289 that you pushed to fix both the wifi breaking and throughput issue but!

A new issue seems to have appeared where randomly it will say "wifi has no connectivity" kinda like the original issue with the wifi dying completely.

Now after about 1 minute or so it fixes itself so not sure what causes that tbh.