Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput issues 5ghz

How99
Dabbler

Re: Throughput issues 5ghz

This is interesting, I’m glad you managed to replicate the problem @bobpullen

It’s nowhere near as bad as the original 5ghz problem, so is manageable for now- but I’d be interested to read what you guys have discovered.

Thanks for looking into it!
androidtanmay
Grafter

@bobpullen

Thanks for the update. Will keep an eye here for the resolution once it is available.

Regards
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@bobpullen
My router has started this again, noticed as 4g keeps coming on with the WiFi, throughout poor, and range, even in 2.4ghz is abismal. Can hardly get a signal at the back of the house in the conservatory. 5ghz struggles to 20mbps next to router, 2.4 about 35mbps next to router. Not rebooted yet.... 21days uptime
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well it seems this part of the many hub1 5ghz issues thread has been totally forgotten about. Whilst Bob says they can replicate the issue, no other info is coming forward as to what the issue is, or a proposed resolution. Mine is now at 15mbs for 5ghz and 41 for 2.4ghz. Tbh 41 for 2.4ghz, next to the router is poor for a 55mbs profile. Range is also poor. At this point therefore, even though I have been happy to offer testing, I've now had enough, and will he sourcing a better more capable unit. As an aside, my fathers bt hh5a has also started with the same issues.... Looks like the issues are more like a fundimental flaw with the units as a whole.....
How99
Dabbler

Yeah it would be good if we could have some sort of update on the findings? @penfold the speeds you reported pretty much matched mine when I checked yesterday.

As a side note @penfold if you do find a better modem / router I’d appreciate any recommendations.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

I think whatever they do will not fix the underlying issue. Prob going to go for either a bt business hub 6, or a tp link archer model. Anyone any other recommendations for a fttc router with decent range. Standard build semi, with a conservatory. Router at front of house where master socket is, to the conservatory porch doors no more than 12m. Currently no 5ghz in conservatory, and phone reverts to 4g in the garden. Have 3 wired devices, 4 android phones, 2 tablets, 1 wireless printer, 1 roku box, ps3 and 2 laptops.
briston
Aspiring Pro

@penfold I ditched my hub1 ( partly) about a month ago by turning off the WiFi and connecting a mesh router. All, that's all problems went away. Finally for finer technical reasons the hub1 ditched completely by purchasing a HG612 3B.

I was fed up with things not working.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@How99 wrote:
Yeah it would be good if we could have some sort of update on the findings? 

We can see a clear differences in the Wi-Fi negotiation of a working and non-working scenario. We're still working on identifying the cause/trigger though. In the meantime, I'm afraid the only way out of it is (until next time) is to powercycle the router.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quick update on this one...

We think we've established the cause of the problem and we're waiting on a test firmware build. I'll let people know when it arrives as it may be useful if some of you can try it out.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

How99
Dabbler

Yeah it’d be great if you could, I’d be happy to help try it out if needed. Thanks
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm looking for some willing candidates to help test a potential fix for the 5GHz throughput issue.

To be clear: this is the issue where speeds on the 5GHz wireless channels drop to 20-25mbps and can only be recovered by rebooting the hub. I am not referring to any other issue affecting Wi-Fi, nor any problems affecting range or the 2.4GHz channels. If you are not affected by this particular problem, then you needn't apply Wink

If you are affected by this issue and would like to help out though, then please reply and...

1. Confirm what version firmware you are currently running, and
  2. Confirm whether or not you are/have been affected by the issue here (This is important because the test build may re-introduce this problem)

Thanks.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

CymonP
Grafter

Hi Bob, I'm willing to try out the new build.  I have been affected by the 5GHz sign in problem and was moved onto the ...273 build some time ago only to then begin suffering the 5GHz throughput problem once the router has been running for a week or two.  I now use 5GHz intermittently -- we get power cuts in bad weather and the recent storms have effectively forced repeated resets resulting in 5GHz being okay! (I normally just disable 5GHz when the problem appears, not wanting to break the connection unnecessarily!)

Thanks.

How99
Dabbler

Hi Bob, I’m also willing to volunteer to help out. I’m on the .273 build as a result of the 5ghz connectivity issue.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@How99 & @CymonP - thanks! Smiley

I've pushed a test build with version ending .285 to your respective devices. You'll need to power off/back on to apply the update.

The main thing I'm looking for is feedback on the 5GHz throughput issue. All being well you shouldn't see this any more. There are a few other things that are fixed too, notably the local time being out by an hour, and the network map sometimes failing to display connected/active devices. Few other DSL improvements and things under the hood that you're less likely to notice.

Now, as mentioned: based on our current thinking, there is a chance this will introduce the 5GHz Wi-Fi connectivity issue. Let me know if it does though and we have an option to roll that aspect back (although it would invoke a factory reset).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

CymonP
Grafter

Okay, @bobpullen , I've just rebooted and it's now showing build ...285.  I'll let you know if any problems arise.

Regards, etc.