Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput issues 5ghz

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Throughput issues 5ghz

Something very odd.... Had to manually reboot router as nothing connected via ethernet would get an ip address.... Wireless OK.
Nothing obvious in logs except 1st reboot that was unexpected I saw this....
18.030000) Boot reason: watchdog reset (cause: 0x3)
No idea what it means. Feel free to look at the logs.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@penfold that's frustrating.

0x3 watchdog error isn't promising. It can be suggestive of a hardware failure. Keep an eye on it and shout if it happens again.

Assuming it doesn't, then I guess we'll have to wait until the throughput drops again.

When it does, do you think you'd be willing to accommodate a call with an engineer to run some diagnostics whilst you're executing the speed tests?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

penfold
Aspiring Pro

@bobpullen
Yeah absolutely....
Not sure what happened last night.... All we were doing was streaming a film on netflix, like we've done hundreds of times. It was through a skyq mini, that's connected via its own mesh 5ghz network to the main skyq box, thats connected to the net via ethernet. Nothing else was active. Maybe due to the amount of uptime causing issues????

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Any objections to the engineer call if the issue arises again?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Not at all Bob. I'm keen to get to the bottom of the issue's. I'll run a speed test everyday and let you know if it reoccurs. 

What kind of hardware fault does the error suggest on the boot logs, never seen it before..

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Just an observation... I have noticed since the reboot the router is far more responsive. When I change frequencies for a speed test, before it was sluggish, acquiring IP address to connected,no internet, to connected took a few seconds. Now its  immediate. I do wonder if all these issues are down to poorly written code ( no offence to plusnet intended), or general hardware/ software issues such as buffer overflows, the NAT table overflowing, memory leaks etc.  It's interesting that the bt routers reboot themselves every 14 days.  Is this a reason.....  Should routers be restarted as a matter of course every 3-4 weeks.....

Just my thoughts and opinions

Speeds still around 45-50mbps on 5ghz.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@penfold I think the periodic reboots have been implemented in the past to deal with memory leaks and the like. It's a bit of a contentious practice though, and one I've never been particularly fond of. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

penfold
Aspiring Pro

@bobpullen
Bob... Just under 9 days uptime, throughput on both channels 45-50mbps.
Will keep checking each day. Anything else you would need me to do....
Kes1
Dabbler

I've been on .273 for 12 days, but now the throughput has droped to 1.0 mbps download (normally 10.0 mbps ) and 0.0 mbps upload (usually 0.3 ) on the 5 ghz..
The connection to the hub shows the normal 150 mbps .
If I reboot, will it speed up again ?
I don't like rebooting constantly ,incase the exchange slows my internet connection down
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hopefully bob sees this, as I'm sure he would like to investigate further.... Don't reboot if you can help it.....
Kes1
Dabbler

*Update *
The 2.4 ghz is now even worse than the 5 ghz (0.6 mbps up / 0.0 mbps down )
Chrome book can't connect to 5ghz at all, only 2.4 ghz which is useless
Kes1
Dabbler

*update*
The WiFi (both ) had disconnected overnight. When I just reconnected the throughput is back to normal again.
The router was not rebooted.
Maybe it was because yesterday ,someone was uploading stuff for work on the cabled computer which takes a lot of time.
Our slow upload speed (0.3) has never reached the 1 mbps guaranteed
CymonP
Grafter

Just adding my voice here.  Having had the ...273 update to resolve 'failure to log on to 5GHz wifi', all was well for a while but then I noticed low throughput on the 5GHz band while 2.4GHz continues to work fine.  Having suffered a forced reboot a couple of days ago (brief power cut), I re-tried 5GHz but it was only running at around half the 2.4GHz wifi speed.  That's 20-ish Mbps as opposed to 37Mbps, typically.  I'd have thought that that'd be fine (though not right!), but it does seem to cause freezes on video streaming which makes me think a simple (and of course short) speed test isn't telling the whole story.

Getting slightly fed up with only being able to use 2.4GHz I must admit, even though it fulfills our needs most of the time.  I think sometimes we get a bit of wifi congestion when things are busy!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've been a bit quiet on this thread so apologies.

In way of an update: we've managed to replicate this problem now. It manifests itself across various firmware builds and I suspect it's been around for a while.

Typical symptoms are the 5GHz Wi-Fi network seemingly limiting downstream throughout to the ~20-25mbps mark, even if you're right next to the router. A reboot brings speeds back to normal - until next time.

We've some useful diagnostics extracted and we're awaiting some feedback from the engineering teams in terms of their findings.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Good to know Bob, thanks for the update. I'm still running at full speed, but unfortunately I had another reboot last week caused by a power cut last Sunday morning, so likely that will have reset anything on the router that may have caused the issue. Out of interest what kind of things may be causing it. A ls always happy to test anything....