Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput issues 5ghz

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Throughput issues 5ghz

Bob has asked me to start this thread.

Is anyone else experiencing throughput issues on the 5ghz channel, or poor range, on the .273 firmware.

I get better throughput on the 2.4ghz channel than 5ghz.

In my testing, using a modern android tablet, sat in the same room at the router significant speed disparities

I am using fast.com as a tool, and usually get approx 45 mbps on 2.5, and just about 20 on 5ghz. Ethernet throughput normal.

Currently I have tried auto channel selections, and currently on manual selection, choosing the best channels via WiFi analyser. Oddly channels 36,40,44,48 show no stars only channels ,149,153,157,161 show full stars but cannot select these.

Interestingly signal strength showing as excellent on both frequencies

Signal strength very poor when out of the room that the router is located in.

Also occasionally get failures in connection for a couple of seconds where internet hangs and I have both wireless and 4g icons showing.

Happy to do any testing.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Typo in title corrected.

108 REPLIES 108
briston
Aspiring Pro

Re: Throughput issues 5ghz

Placing my phone 1ft from the hub1 and measuring speeds yesterday I got 13.6Mbs on the 5Ghz stream and 22.7Mbs on the 2.4Ghz stream. So yes, yesterday the 5Ghz stream was significantly slower. This was done at a time when there were no other demands on either stream. I would normally expect a bit more than 30Mbs.

I am on the 273 firmware

The hub1 reports a varying sync speed, always lower than expected but surprisingly the actual speed is solid, within statistical variation. Quite frankly I don't trust what's reporting.

As an aside my speeds are all over the place this morning.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@briston don't take this the wrong way but this thread is about 5GHz throughput Wink

Fluctuating sync speeds etc. which will be due to your device physically retraining with the local cabinet. It's not something I want to get into here and will not be related.

@penfold thanks for starting the thread. If you can avoid rebooting for the time being whilst we grab some diagnostics then that would be great. In the meantime, are you able to attach a few speed tests from the same device when next to the router. Two on the 2.4GHz network, and two on the 5GHz network. Probably best to use automatic channel selection and avoid any other heavy network utilisation from other devices etc. whilst the tests are running.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Will do Bob.

Kids using internet at min , so once calmed down will run the tests. I've already switched to automatic channel selection.

Any specific speed test, or will fast.com suffice

briston
Aspiring Pro

@bobpullen yes I know about this thread and as you can see, I did say the 5Ghz stream was slower than the 2.4Ghz stream.

To put it bluntly, it's not working. Hub1 that is.

Yes sync speed is different but that was put in because I am beginning to think the hub1 is not actually reporting correctly.

In any case I have now abandoned the hub1 wireless as I have said in another thread,

Don't get me wrong. I make it clear. This has gone on too long. For the purpose of this thread, the throughput on the 5Ghz stream varies and at times less than the 2.4Ghz both under little load.

But at least Plusnet have acknowledged the problem to the tune of offering me £50 to help me solve the problem.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Ok. These tests were done with an Asus tablet running android 7. Nothing running in background.

Internet not being used on any other device, everything switched off apart from 2 phones.

Sync speed is 

Data rate: 9999 / 54933
7. Maximum data rate: 26582 / 72584
8. Noise margin: 21.7 / 10.8
9. Line attenuation: 17.3 / 13.8
10. Signal attenuation:

17.4 / 13.9

penfold
Aspiring Pro

For some reason cannot attached files from my tablet or phone!!!

Anyway,here are the results

As you can see, 5Ghz, around 50% less throughout than 2.4Ghz. I was right next to the router

briston
Aspiring Pro

@penfold those figures interest me and have car doubt on one of my assumptions.
Your maximum data rate 26582/72584 I thought I understood what this was referring to. Can you explain there figures and what profile are you on?

Sorry to be thick on this. Mine are 12612/43306
penfold
Aspiring Pro

@briston
As far as I know, and I may very well be wrong, max data rate, is the max that the line could support if everything 100% perfect. I am on a 55/10 profile. I know plusnet don't actually sell this package, but they downgraded everyone who was on their 40/20 package to this. This is why I am syncing close to 55/10, but have good Snr values. If I went for the full 80/20 package then I assume I would get virtually the full 80/20. I am very lucky to be very close to the fibre cab.....
briston
Aspiring Pro

thanks for the explanation. So now 2 puzzles. I am on an 80/20 profile first of all. When Openreach visited about a month ago a problem was solvedd. He said my 'speed" should be about 52 accounting for the distance I am from the cabinet. I thought this to be 52Mbs (mega bits per second?) And for a time my max speed topped about 44Mbs down 14Mbs up. Ok I thought losses could account for the difference. I am now measuring 32 down 11 up but importantly my max data rate has dropped to 43Mbs.

Secondly, if you are on a 55/10 I don't understand your figures as they exceed what I thought what 55/10 means or in my case I no longer understand what 80/20 means. I am referring to the 7 max data rate as reported on the hub1 management page.

I am clearly not understanding something.

I am in the process of eliminating the wireless bit of the hub1. I am going to use a mesh, Deco 5. Only 1 installed at the moment but I can see that the signal is stronger on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz streams. I now want to see if they are stable.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@briston , *please* can we keep this thread on topic!? By your own admission, you are not using the Wi-Fi on the Hub One any more.

If you want to discuss max attainable rates, sync speeds, or anything else that is not explicitly and directly related to reduced throughput only on the 5GHz Wi-Fi channels, then please start a separate thread.

@briston wrote:
Yes sync speed is different but that was put in because I am beginning to think the hub1 is not actually reporting correctly.

There is no evidence of this and I would be very surprised to find out it were the case. It is trivial to disprove anyway, as we can determine the sync rate as reported by the cabinet as well as the router. Fairly certain they will match at any moment in time. Again though: not something for this thread.

@penfold, thanks for the test results, exactly what I was looking for. I'll be back in touch and in the meantime, avoid rebooting.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@penfold can you confirm the tablet you used was an Acer device and not ASUS? With mac address 68:b3:5e:46:XX:XX and IP address 192.168.1.75?

Edit: Can you also confirm a few other things for me?

• The exact make/model of the tablet in use?
  • Are there other devices on the 5GHz network that exhibit the same problem?
  • Is *any* device connected to the 5GHz network able to achieve speeds above ~25mbps?
  • Assuming the tablet is in the same state, what does the connected rate show if you click the device in the network map on the hub configuration pages?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

penfold
Aspiring Pro

@bobpullen 

Sorry my stupidity....

Tablet is an Acer iconia B3-A40 running Android 7

Yes other devices on the 5ghz network exhibit the same issue, my Huwawei P10 has the same issue, runs android 8

Not tried any other devices, but my daughter's laptop had very slow 2.4ghz wireless, due to a very old wireless card. I got her a 5ghz dongle, and she said it was better, but I will do a run of speed tests tomorrow. This runs Windows 10 1909.

Connected rate for 2.4ghz shows 65mbps. 5ghz shows 433mbps. 5ghz varies between good and excellent signal even in the same room. This is from the tablet. From the router 5ghz says 433 mbps.

Will post up the Windows speed tests tomorrow. 

penfold
Aspiring Pro

@briston 

If your max attainable shows around 12612/43306 what does your sync show?

You sound like you are on an 80/20 package, but you will never get 80/20 according to those figures. I am on 55/10 but as I am very close to the cab, I 'could'  get the full 80/20 if I upgraded my package.

I would as Bob suggests start a new thread, and post up your router stats to start with, and if possible run a bt speed test preferably from a wired connection to see your IP profile. From memory on fttc this is around 94% of sync speed. 

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hi Bob. Unfortunately not sure why but router appeared to reboot itself at around 10.15 this evening. Done a quick speed test on my phone connected to 5ghz and recorded 50mbps