Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585v7 - doesn't autoconnect to plusnet

FIXED
paulh
Rising Star

Thomson TG585v7 - doesn't autoconnect to plusnet

Had this Router for years, no problems.

I'm sure when we occasionally lose power or have to reset the router for some reason, in the past it not only connected automatically to the exchange & synced , but also automagically logged in to the plusnet dsl service. 

(Or have I just imagined that it used to do so?)

It seems to have stopped doing this, so now if the router goes down & restarts, while it syncs to the exchange fine, I have to manually login to the web interface & click "Connect".

I've got a few things running that require 24/7 internet access (but are fine with interruption so long as it's brief), so this is a proper PITA.

I've tried resetting to factory settings, but that doesn't seem to have re-enabled autologin.

Please unconfuse me.

8 REPLIES 8
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Thomson TG585v7 - doesn't autoconnect to plusnet

fwiw, I would suggest a new router if factory resetting your antique/discontinued TG585v7 didn't resolve the problem. 

If you renewed your contract in last 3 months, PN may send you a cheap n cheerful Hub Zero (Sagemcom 2704n) for free or for cost of postage?  Otherwise, plenty of new ones, and dual band Hub One (with current wifi issues....) on eBay.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

This is probably slowly expiring from old age. Why not replace it for something newer? You can either talk to Plusnet and get them to give you a new hub, probably a Hub Zero as I assume that you are on standard ADSL broadband, you may need to extend your contract, or you can buy your own. Whatever you do don't buy one from Plusnet, they're not worth the money.

Many of us use a BT Smarthub 6. They work on Plusnet ADSL and fibre services when set up correctly. They both look and perform better than Plusnet's Hub Zero or Hub One and go on Ebay for around £20. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

A tenner on ebay or Gumtree gets you a BT HH6. Baldrick published an excellent guide to setting it up elsewhere on this forum. My needs are simple BB and phone so my old 585 and 2704 worked fine in their day but I'm pleased with the HH6.

Edited to add: Baldrick posted while I was writing this, so there's your answer! Good luck!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hi there.

I've just re-added your router into the hardware management platform which I suspect may have been the cause for the issue as it doesn't look like there was a link between your router and the system.

If you can carry out a factory reset of the router it should automatically reconnect in future.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
paulh
Rising Star

Thanks Anoush, that worked perfectly & it reconnects automatically on restart once again.

As for all those who (I'm sure in an effort to help) suggested that somehow because the 585 is old/obsolete, it will somehow suffer from "software rot", do please note that this was a PN configuration problem.

Whether the Thomson is obsolete or not, it's not clear to me that buying a 2nd hand router of unknown provenance could be a solution, nor that I will magically get "better performance" than my existing router, which connects at the max speed for my line, and stays up without fault for months on end.

If anyone would like to buy me a new router, I'll be most happy to receive one, but tbh I'd rather you sent me the cash & I can put it towards my rent. 

see ya

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm glad to see that did the trick. Thumbs_Up

To quote a famous phrase, if it ain't broke don't fix it Wink Or in this case, replace it.

Feel free to let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

too am pleased that your current router now does all that you want. I'm sorry that a suggestion of an economic way to replace it with a modern replacement was unwelcome.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quite so. Not often the helpers here see such a gracious acceptance of their humble efforts to help.