Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of using a 3rd party router

FIXED
champ388
Grafter

Re: Thinking of using a 3rd party router

Thanks for the replies, all. I'll see how it goes with the Hub One. I can always use my Smart Hub 6 instead if necessary.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I would suggest that the Smart Hub 6 would be the best choice. The Hub one is a previous generation rebadged BT Home Hub 5A, probably surplus to BT Retail requirements because it has an inferior modem chipset.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

To add some clarity here, the Hub One *cannot* be configured in bridge mode, not without elevated access anyway.
Yes, it's possible to daisy chain an access point via one of the LAN ports, however this isn't the same thing.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@SammyM wrote:

We have heard cases where some customers have successfully changed the Hub one settings in order for it to be used as a modem only.

Only by flashing new firmware and voiding any warranty Funny

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Thank you @bobpullen for clarifying the point I made in post 2 that we (as normal end users) cannot set the Plusnet Hub One to a "bridge mode"

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@champ388 wrote:
Thanks for the replies, all. I'll see how it goes with the Hub One. I can always use my Smart Hub 6 instead if necessary.

This report compares the wireless performance of a Smarthub against a Hub One. https://www.businessdirect.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/c6nx/bt_smart_hub_test_report.pdf

This report indicates that the one to use is a no brainer but it would be interesting to hear how your comparison goes.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for the clarification Bob.
I’ve learned something new today. Smiley
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1

@champ388 wrote:

I didn't think of that option, I'll use the Smart Hub 6 that BT gave me. Although the wireless range isn't brilliant, so I might still consider purchasing the Asus modem/router as apparently that has a much superior range.

If you’re having problems with the Smarthub WiFi range it could be because you have the 2.4 and 5GHz channels synced. These can be separated by going into the router advanced WiFi settings.

Moderator and Customer

champ388
Grafter

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@champ388 wrote:

I didn't think of that option, I'll use the Smart Hub 6 that BT gave me. Although the wireless range isn't brilliant, so I might still consider purchasing the Asus modem/router as apparently that has a much superior range.

If you’re having problems with the Smarthub WiFi range it could be because you have the 2.4 and 5GHz channels synced. These can be separated by going into the router advanced WiFi settings.

I'll give that a try tonight, thank you. Even in my bedroom which is above my living room, the WiFi signal drops a bit, and does the same when I'm in the back bedroom.

Baldrick1

That’s surprising as mine easily cover our whole house. However wireless performance will suffer if you have a modern house with foil covered insulation panels in the floor or walls. Reinforced concrete buildings can also kill WiFi.

When you go into the router advanced WiFi settings you need to change the Sync Channels option to No this will automatically add -5 to the 5GHz channel SSID. You then obviously have to try both channels on your devices and use the best.

Moderator and Customer

champ388
Grafter

How come separating the channels would make a difference? I thought my device would automatically select the best channel even if they are synchronised.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @champ388

Devices should continuously monitor for the best wireless frequency and switch automatically - this normally produces good results. However, in situations where a device doesn't do this effectively, it can be detrimental. Therefore, forcing a device to connect to a specific frequency can help to resolve connection issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1

Some devices get confused and seem to oscillate.between the two channels. I have two IPads, one copes fine the other shows abysmal speeds with this scenario. I have also heard of Android devices that also suffer.

Moderator and Customer