Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of using a 3rd party router

FIXED
champ388
Grafter

Thinking of using a 3rd party router

Hi all. First post Smiley I'm due to switch from BT to Plusnet on 2nd July, and I'll be using fibre. I may decide to use a 3rd party router if the WiFi range on the Hub One isn't good. A friend of mine recommended the Asus RT-AC68U. Could I use the Hub One as a bridge or would I need to buy the Asus DSL-AC68U, that has a modem built in, instead? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

27 REPLIES 27
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Thinking of using a 3rd party router

Fix

Welcome to the forums.

The Hub One does not work in bridge mode so I would forget that option.

As you are coming from BT, I assume you use their fibre product so why not just use whatever you are currently using.

Also why not have a look at the list of devices available, a good list and discussion is available at http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html for some impartial advice.

edit to remove line of rubbish text that I put in by accident

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
champ388
Grafter

I didn't think of that option, I'll use the Smart Hub 6 that BT gave me. Although the wireless range isn't brilliant, so I might still consider purchasing the Asus modem/router as apparently that has a much superior range.

SpendLessTime
Hero

I've seen bad reports about the modem part of the Asus range hence a look at kitz's forum breakdown might help.

But people tend to only mention when things are bad so that not be the case in general.

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi there.

You are fine to plug in an additional router to the Hub One and use it as purely a modem. It's up to your if you prefer to have the two devices running, or a single router with a built in modem.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@deank

Would you care to elaborate? I suspect that I’m not the only one baffled by this post.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Yes, I was pretty sure that the Hub One couldn't be configured for 'modem only' mode. Has some method of configuring it been identified ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I've seen threads about this where people have successfully setup a Hub One as a modem and connected their own router to that.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SpendLessTime
Hero

@deank

As @champ388 has a BT Smart Hub, the use of the Plusnet Hub One is mute as the Plusnet device is clearly inferior to it.

Also the Smart Hub is a single box and works well with BT and Plusnet. It would be the best device to start using on day one of the swap as it can be used to compare the effects of just changing ISP and nothing else.

And when did Plusnet add a bridge mode to the Hub One if you don't mind me asking? This is news to me and many others here.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

It's certainly possible to plug another router into a Hub One and use it as an access point with some configuration, I suspect @deank has mistakenly used the term modem.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Apologies if I'm wrong or mistaken, but I recall people using the Hub One as a modem to connect their own router to that, though it may be just what Browni is mentioning.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Gandalf wrote:

I've seen threads about this where people have successfully setup a Hub One as a modem and connected their own router to that.

I must admit to having missed those except when the second router was configured as an Access Point.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

We have heard cases where some customers have successfully changed the Hub one settings in order for it to be used as a modem only.

However its not something we would recommend as it is not the way it is intended to be used and we can not guarantee success. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@SammyM  I don't believe that is true, tell us how it can be done

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @RealAleMadrid,

Unfortunately I can not advise on this as stated above it is not intended to be used this way, but as a combined modem and router. It is this that we can only support am afraid.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team