cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible service & wireless speeds

ikarugamoo
Dabbler

Terrible service & wireless speeds

I've reported issues here before, sadly they continue. If I run a speed test I'll see anything from 22-26mb, which is fine. I'm comfortable with that. But it's the wireless performance that's impossible sometimes. Almost every single day any device connected (2 x iPads, 2 x iPhones, 2 x Macs, Windows 10 laptop, TV etc) will struggle either connecting to the router or just not get out to the internet. Even my Netgear wireless extender starts chucking up a red light to the router at these times.

If I wait, eventually things may pick up again or I reboot the router. On top of that speed is hugely variable.

This is the same anywhere in the house, right by the router or via the extender. When even my wife is moaning, not exactly a heavy user, and is resorting to tethering from her phone for significant chunks of time it shows the Plusnet service is poor.

This surely has to be a router issue rather than the actual broadband, but with only around 7 months left on my contract it's getting to the point where I'll move away early if this doesn't improve.

Can you look into this for me please.

16 REPLIES 16
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Terrible service & wireless speeds

First, what router are you using and can you post the stats?

Second, are your speeds constant when using an ethernet connection, as wifi tests can be notoriously unreliable?

Third, you have eight devices listed, how many are connected at the same time?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @ikarugamoo 

Thanks for reaching out. 

I've tested your circuit to ensure there is nothing underlying which could be causing the issues which you mention - everything is passing with flying colours so I am confident we are not dealing with a line issue here.  

When it comes to Wireless connections, it's worth noting that there are only an optional alternate gateway to access the internet - a wired LAN (Ethernet) connection is always the primary connection method, and is the only one which can be guaranteed on both speed and stability. 

Unfortunately due to the way WiFi works there are a lot of environmental factors which can affect the wireless signal.There are a large number of potential reasons for slow speeds and sometimes these are difficult to track down. If you do not notice any issues over Wired connections, then it's likely the problem lies between your router and your devices - which we don't have visibility of. I've checked your network map and I can see no Wired connections at all, would you be able to test one for us? 

It's also going to be worth changing your wireless channels as (if you have these on ones which you have changed to previously) they may have become more congested in the interim time. Could you give this a go and let us know if it helps the situation? 

Thanks, 

MoR

ikarugamoo
Dabbler

It's a Plusnet Hub One. Stats attached if that's the ones you're after.

Broadband speeds are fine over wifi, that isn't my issue. It's actual wifi speeds, e.g assuming that something has happened to the wifi side of things when can't get out to the internet. Sorry haven't got any device with an ethernet port. 

5 probably remain connected on standby but at any one time only 2 or 3 will be consuming any bandwidth.

Previous router with Sky had no issues at all and I had no need for a wireless extender with that router. Solid as a rock, however the Plusnet one has been poor since day one. A reboot will undoubtedly cure the issue, hence why I've had not much desire to log it bar the twice I have but it's not ideal to be rebooting.

ikarugamoo
Dabbler

Hi MoR thanks for your response. Hopefully my one that crossed over with yours helps a little.

I have changed channels in the past, can't say I noticed a huge difference and on 5ghz there are so many channels I'd be surprised if there was an issue. I will try again but I'm not convinced it'll make a huge difference. I did a wireless survey once and found no clashing channels. But I will try again.

Little confused and shocked at the statement that wired connections are primary connections. We're in 2019, surely wireless is the primary connection in this day and age? I appreciate wireless can't guarantee speed and I say this next bit in jest but should i be buying long cables and adapters for my iPhone / iPads to connect them direct Wink In all seriousness, wireless should be the priority for connectivity in this day and age.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

5 probably remain connected on standby but at any one time only 2 or 3 will be consuming any bandwidth.

This may not actually be the case, @ikarugamoo - anything connected that holds a Wireless signal may well use the connection to perform background refreshes/updates.

Let me know how the fresh channel changes go. 

Thanks, 

MoR

ikarugamoo
Dabbler

Very little in our case however, as I turn auto updates off for the majority especially OS updates as I like to control when I take those so I know they're stable. Apps as well in most cases. It will be limited to emails and low bandwidth stuff mostly.

Is the firmware up to date on the router?

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @ikarugamoo,

You should be able to check the firmware version you're on by going to http://192.168.1.254/ from your browser's address bar. This will bring up the router control panel and the firmware version is listed at the bottom of the page - the latest version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. please let us know if you're on a different version.

Thanks.

ikarugamoo
Dabbler

Hi guys. I'm on the latest firmware. I have changed channels a couple of times from auto, and devices just keep disconnecting still so it's actually slightly different to before with poor or no speed.

So I'm at a loss now. Appreciating every house and situation is different, that I can sit almost on top of the router and lose connectivity at times or speed suggests to me all is not well.

It looking like I'll need to move my service elsewhere - especially with the price increase - unless there's a quick solution. How about sending a new router out?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @ikarugamoo I'm sorry to hear you're still having wireless problems.

I'm afraid we aren't able to replace your router in this instance. The reason being, is that it's likely to make no effect.

Chances are, the router isn't at fault and it's something in the environment causing the issue.

You mention you've changed the channels a couple of times. I'd highly recommend trying them all. I understand it can be tedious but it's generally worth the hassle. I wouldn't bother changing the 5ghz channels, just the 2.4ghz.

From personal experience, I'm currently on channel 8, but it was only through trial and error I discovered this.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Understood you prefer wireless but I'd agree that a new router will not make much difference. I tried a few (Billion wireless card burned out at two years) then tried BT HH6 which produced a small improvement in wifi compared to the PN One. Our 50 yr old house has walls of concrete block which block a hammer drill never mind the wifi signal! Long ago I installed Devolo extenders in lounge and bedroom, always got 90/95% of my router ethernet speed test reading at the far end of the house.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@ikarugamoo 

It appears that no one has suggested trying splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz bands see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840 Try each band in turn and use the best.

Rather than change wireless  channels willy nilly use a WiFi sniffer app to see which channels your neighbours are using. I use WiFi Analyzer on an Android phone. Check both at the router location and where you use your devices.

If all that fails do you still have your Sky router? If so you may be able to set this up as an Access Point. A Google search should give you a link to the instructions if it’s possible. You then connect this to one of the Hub One yellow internet ports, switch off the Hub One wireless and use the Sky wireless instead.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @ikarugamoo, thanks for getting back to us.

I'd have to echo @Baldrick1's suggestion of splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, to see if there's any improvement when they're not merged.

I would also agree with the suggestion of using a wifi analyser app - there are a few available on both the Apple store and the Google Play store.

Please let us all know how you get along.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@OskarPapa 

Please can you point me to an Apple or iPhone compatible version that will allow me to ‘see’ neighbours transmissions. I have looked and can’t find one.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'