cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible WiFi Signal.. Plusnet Hub Zero - should I swap?

kenibark6

Terrible WiFi Signal.. Plusnet Hub Zero - should I swap?

I have the Plusnet supplied router from a few years back. I believe it's known as the Hub Zero but more technically the 2704n.

I have their unlimited fibre package and current get 8 ping, 63mb download and 18mb upload (speedtest.net).

WiFi signal/strength is AWFUL.

I have a friends old BT Home Hub 3. Will this be any better ? or is it worth trying the new Plusnet 'Hub One' - can pick one up on eBay for £20

Please advise !

5 REPLIES 5
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Terrible WiFi Signal.. Plusnet Hub Zero - should I swap?

Hi

The hub zero is not compatible with fibre broadband (VDSL). It only supports standard broadband (ADSL).

I suspect you either have a HubOne (rebadged BT HomeHub 5A) or a Openreach modem/TG512n combo.

The TG512n like the hub zero only provides 2.4 GHz wifi which is often congetsed by being used in virtually every house.

The HubOne provides both 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi whilst 5GHz WiFi is faster the range is shorter and weak 5 GHz WiFi can be worse than overcrowded 2.4 GHz WiFi.....

The usual advice is to seperate the 5GHz WiFi from the 2.4 GHz WiFi by renaiming the  SSID of the 5GHz by adding a 5 to the end of the SSID.

I personally recommend using a separate VDSL modem with a better router. I have had a good experinces using TP Link Archer cable routers with the separate Openreach VDSL modem.

Regards

Richard

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@kenibark6 

See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/td-p/1192234 for advice on the BT router, which is you should try before buying anything.

I have the Plusnet hub and I just got very good BT Speedtest wifi speeds which were the same as my ethernet speeds. Wifi is usually slower but still reasonable.

HTH

Dave

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

As said, split the bands on your Hub One, (which should be a simple admin change) then you can connect to either of the two.

See if it makes any difference, saves spending money on new equipment if you don't need to.

Its also possible you may have interference, possibly from say a neighbours device or something else in your home. Is it terrible all the time, or just certain times of the day?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@kenibark6 wrote:

... or is it worth trying the new Plusnet 'Hub One' - can pick one up on eBay for £20

Don't waste money on a Plusnet Hub One. For about the same you can get a BT Smarthub 6 which is a far better device. Setting instructions are here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @kenibark6, Thanks for contacting us about your Wi-Fi, check out the help and support page here

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team