cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor router and gigabit switch

Len2
Dabbler

Technicolor router and gigabit switch

I have one of the old tecchnicolor routers, never used as I had a working netgear device which was superceded by an old pc running Sophos UTM.  Recently the UTM died and I made a mess of resetting the netgear (which had been repurposed as a wireless access point).  After some futile thrashing around I decided to dig out the technicolor as a stopgap while I decided how to proceed. 

I plugged my laptop into it using an ethernet cable and it was easy to get connected.  Then I hooked another cable to the gigabit switch which serves most of my kit and could not make a connection to my main PC.  Eventually I plugged the PC directly into the technicolor and it worked fine.  It appears that the technicolor either cannot handle cascaded swiches or it somehow objects to the faster downstream links (the netgear also has 100Mb/s ports but is perfectly happy in this configuration).

I had hoped to use the technicolor as a drop-in replacement for a couple of months but 3 100Mb/s ports is completely inadequate for my needs.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could persuade it to play nicely with the (netgear) gigabyte switches?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Len2
Dabbler

Re: Technicolor router and gigabit switch

Just for the record, if anyone sees this and wonders, the technicolor was innocent.  After seeing the same problems with the netgear router after I reset and reinserted it I rebooted the switch and all problems disappear.  Obviously the thing had some windows software in its ancestry.