cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n to TG588v - should I change router?

ML27uk
Hooked

Technicolor TG582n to TG588v - should I change router?

I'm still stuck with my original Plusnet TG582n - which has never been better than "OK" especially in terms of wi-fi signal strength. I've been given a Technicolor TG588v by a friend.

Beofre I go to all the trouble of swopping them out, is the 588v any better - and will it work with Plusnet? ( I'm OK with logging in to a router and manually setting things up )

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Technicolor TG582n to TG588v - should I change router?

Hi there, as long as the router isn’t locked to a specific provider there’s no reason I can see that it shouldn’t work. It may be worth giving it a go, remembering to configure the router using the details found here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Let us know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

cbcadmin
Grafter

Did you swap in the end?

Anyone know if the TG588 can be configured to support NAT loopback, which works fine on my TG582N?

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Vodafone FTTP via THG3000 & Three via ZTE MF286D

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
ML27uk
Hooked

Dismal failure 🙄 but happy ending.

Replacement router was password locked and the factory reset button had been disabled...

BUT I inherited a Netgear router from my girlfriend ( she’s moved to fibre ) and installed that. Seems much more stable and has longer range than the TG582.