Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n router going sick?

insussex
Grafter

Technicolor TG582n router going sick?

Hi

Think our supplied router is going sick, has to be powered off and on again almost daily otherwise there is no wifi connection.

I have changed channels to one not used locally, it shows up with a signal at least in the 80% but still most mornings none of our wifi devices can connect or the connection keeps dropping out.

Screen shot of wifi page attached.

I also note that our actual mps is way low, showing just 26 in the attached but drops as low as 4 at times.

Router is connected direct to the main telephone socket via a special plate, no filters etc.

Two questions:

1) Can I fix this?

2) what is the best alternate router that does not cost a fortune that I could replace this one with.

Thanks

Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Technicolor TG582n router going sick?

When you say no devices will connect, is that because there is no wireless signal or do you have a wireless connection but no broadband. Can you log into the router when you say the connection is down?

If you commit to a new contract I would anticipate that Plusnet will let you have a new Hub Zero for £6.99.

If you want something far better for not much money then go onto Ebay and buy a BT Smart Hub 6. You will find setting up instructions in rhe Router forum.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi there 

I've known 3 plus net TG582n routers stop working properly in the last 3 months. In each case PN replaced the customers router with a new hub one for post and packing if they signed up to a new  contract. If you don't wish to accept those terms you'll need to buy a suitable alternative router yourself from eBay or wherever . I believe Plus Net routers are supplied with a 12 month guarantee after that you can't expect them to be replaced for free .

in each case my suspicion is that it's not the router that's initially faulty but the power supply which has developed a fault. In Each case the router has also been much hotter to the touch than I'd expect them to be which cannot be good for the components. I haven't measured the voltage from the supply but that would be worth thinking about .

If you replace the router and still have problems then you need to begin looking at internal and external wiring issues and line faults.

Good luck. 

insussex
Grafter

Hi thanks for the reply.

The wireless signal just keeps dropping out, the devices keep trying to get an ip sometimes connect other times just can't.

Using a war drive program I am able to view all the local networks and have selected a channel (1) as none of the powerful ones are on that.

It always seems to happen in the morning when we fist go to check our mail.

How good is the plusnet new router is it duel band etc?

I am on a long contract with them anyway.

insussex
Grafter

Hi and thanks

PSU seems ok, the router does indeed get warm + 

Not sure what to do for the best really, does Plusnet support ever check in here?

insussex
Grafter

runhare
Aspiring Pro

The bt smart hub router would certainly do the trick. It appears to be second hand / refurbished. There are also often less costly ones of this type available 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Support do check in here, they just probably have not picked up your thread.

You can use a BT Homehub with PlusNet. I've not tried it, but others have on here who will help you out.

If I were in the OP's position I would buy a cheapo PlusNet Hub One from say eBay. Loads of them kicking around for not much money.

No need to recontract if you had gotten one from PlusNet. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@insussex wrote:

Would this be any good, says it won't work with other isps?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Smart-Hub-Home-Hub-6-Wireless-Gigabit-Infinity-ADSL-VDSL-Modem-Router-...

It most certainly does work with Plusnet.

The reason that Plusnet Hub Ones can be picked up for peanuts is because they are tweeked, rebadged BT Home Hub 5A. These are two generations older than the Smart Hub 6 with performance that reflects the difference. See https://www.businessdirect.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/c6nx/bt_smart_hub_test_report.pdf. for a comparison between the Hub One and a Smart Hub.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

insussex
Grafter

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Hi

personally I feel you'ld be better off with the BT hub you found earlier. Or same model if that one is sold. It will work perfectly with Plus Net or BT but not other ISPS

That TP link item can be a pain to set up.  looks dreadful too! 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there. Sorry to hear you're having problems with your router.

We'll be happy to send you out a new one for the postage fee of £6.99, though it'll be a Hub Zero which isn't dual band.

Let us know if you want to take us up on the offer.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
insussex
Grafter

Hi

Thanks for the offer, if you check my account you will see I have been with you a good while, pay up front etc.

If I am going to replace it ideally I'd like what ever is considered best by PlusNet?

Regards

Mike

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Mike. Unfortunately we can't send out a different type of router on an ADSL contract I'm afraid.

The offer for a Hub Zero is still there if you'd like to accept it. Alternatively, if you do decide to buy your own router, the details in this guide should help you in setting it up: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still